Thursday, January 3, 2008

Will of Richard Towle 1692 IOW Co., VA



In the name of God Amen I Richd Towle of the Isle of Wight County being very sicke & weake, but thanks be to almighty God of Sound & perfect memory doe make & ordaine This my last will & Testamt first I give my soule to God my maker in sure & certain hope thro the merrits of Jesus Christ my Redeemer the forgivenesse of all my sins & my body to the earth from whence it Came, and as for my worldly goods I give as followeth. Impris. I give & bequeath unto my three youngest children of Susanna Braswell, Richard, William and Elizabeth Braswell all my whole & sole estate to be equally divided between them & to be possessed of their Parte as they Shall attain to the age of seaventeen yeares of age. Item I do request & appointe my loving friend John Riggs my Exor.r in trust to see that the estate soe given by me to the aforesaid children be duly & truly delivered to them at the yeares above exprest, & that he see my debts & funeral charges payd, soe revoking all former Wills I have hereunto sett my hand & seale this 5th day of 9ber 1692.


IOW Co., VA W&DB 2 P. 323


Note: In addition to the obvious documentation that Susannah Braswell was the mother of at least 3 children of Richard Towle, we learn from this will that Richard, William & Elizabeth were born AFTER 1675, because they were under age 17 in 1692.

Click here to see an unsmudged & unaltered copy of the notorious Towle Will