Sunday, August 28, 2011

Joshua Vick, Southampton co., VA, 1767


Joshua Vick was the son of Richard Vick adjacent property owner to Richard Braswell d. 1745. Jacob Braswell of the S/H DNA Group (& Johnston Co., NC) hired Ann Vick's slave Rachael which can be verified in Southampton Co., VA Guardianship Records 1772-1783 Will Book 3 Page 73.

In the name of God amen I Joshua Vick of the county of Southampton & parish of St. Lukes being of sound and disposing mind & memory thanks be given to Almighty God for the same & knowing that it is appointed unto all men once to die & being posessed of estate real & personal do dispose of the same in manner & form following to wit - Item I Give bequeath and demise unto my loving wife Elizabeth the use of ----negroes during her natural life namely Patt & Hannah & the plantation whereon I now live half the stock of horses cattle sheep & hgs that I am now possessed with half the household goods & after the decease of my wife that they and their increase & the stock be equally divided between my son And daughters & their heirs for ever Item I Give bequeath and demise unto my daughter Ann & her hairs for ever Rachel & Tom also one hundred and fifty acres of land joining William Thomas's land that he bought of Thomas Blunt to her & her heirs for ever Item I Give bequeath & demise unto my Daughter Beda (?) my negroe man Chance & Judah also forty pounds current money of Virginia when she is married to her & her heirs for ever ~~~~ Item I Bequeath & demise unto my son William negroes Sarah Jimmy & Bob also after my wifes decease the plantation & all the remainder of my lands to him & his heirs for ever ~~~~~ Lastly my will & desire is that after my wifes decease my whole estate that shall be left after paying of my debts & legacies aforesaid be equally divided between my three children I as also appoint my wife Elizabeth & my loving brother Jacob Vick & Arthur Vick Executors of this my last will & testament. In witnes whereof I do hereunto Set my hand & Seal this eleventh day of march 1767
Witness
Patience her mark Newsom Joshua his mark Vick {seal}
Arthur his mark Vick
William Thomas

At a court held for the county of Southampton the (11th?) Day of (Jun?) 1767 - this will was presented in court by Elizabeth Vick & Arthur Vick Two of the exrs therein named & the other exr refusing to join in the probat & proved by the oath of Patience Newsom Arthur Vick & William Thomas the witnesses thereto & ordered to be recorded And on the motion of the said Exor who made oath according to law certificate is granted them for obtaining aproval hereof in due form giving Security whereupon - R Kello

(Southampton Co., VA WB 2 1762-1772 Pg 206)