Monday, August 27, 2012

1857 - John Braswell's Will



In the name of God Amen. I John Braswell of the county of Nash and State of North Carolina, being of sound mind and memory, do make, ordain, publish and declare this to be my last will and testamentin manner and form following, to-wit. I lend to my beloved wife Sarah during her life or widowhood, the following property, to wit, Three Negros namely, Kinchen, Sarah and Jane. If Kinchen should die or become disable to work then and in that case I desire that Cambrick should take his place. One Horse of her own choice, One Buggy and Harness, Two cows and Calves her own choice. Three sows and pigs her own choice. Eight head of year old hogs, eight head of sheep her own choice, All the farming utensils, One Cart or waggon, four beds and their necssary clothing, and all the other household and furniture except Beds and furniture herein after to be disposed of. Also 1000 lbs. of pork, thirty barrels of corn, twelve bushels of wheat or two barrels of flour, 75 lbs. of sugar, 40 lbs of coffee, 10 gallons of Vinegar, 3 gallons of molasses, all the bee hives and honey on hand, five stacks of fodder - half of the shucks on hand - ten bushels of oats, I also lend to my said wife during her life or widowhood as aforesaid, the following land to wit, the part of the tract of land on which I now live, lying on the East side of the Path, beginning at the flat ford on Beechtree creek, thence southwards, the path leading by the House to the Ford of the Branch to Ward's line, to be cultivated by her own hands, but neither the lands nor the turpentine boxes are to be rented out nor any of the timber sold offer the lands. I also give to my said wife, five hundred dollars in money, and also one of the beds and its necessary clothing, which I loaned to her alone. I also loan to Francis Hedgepeth four hundred Dollars to be equally divided between his four first children by his first wife. I also give to Brother William Braswell's four children to wit: Joe, Charity, Lucy and Harriett, four hundred dollars in money to be equally divided between them, I give and bequeath unto my nephew John T. Braswell all the balance and residue of my estate of every description, including the property loaned to my wife, after her death or widowhood. And I appoint my said nephew John T. Braswell my executor to this my last will and testament, in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 4 day of September, A. D. 1857.

John Braswell {Seal}

Signed, sealed, published and delivered}
in presents of Geo. N. Lewis,}
C. W. Ward.}

State of N. Carolina} Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions.
Nash County} May Term, 1860.

A paper writing purporting to be the last will and testament of John Braswell, deceased, is exhibited for probate in open court by John T. Braswell the executor therein named and the due execution thereof by the said John Braswell is proved by the oath and examination of Geo. N. Lewis and Calvin N. Ward, the subscribing witnesses thereto. It is therefore considered by the court that the said paper writing and every part thereof is the last will and testament of the said John Braswell. And the same is ordered to be recorded and filed. and thereupon the said John T. Braswell, executor, as aforesaid duly qualifies as such by taking the oath required by law.

Attest B. H. Sorsby, Clk.
And is recorded in obedience thereto. Attest B. H. Sorsby, Clk.

(Nash Co., NC WB I Pg 621-622)

NOTE: John married Sallie Vick.  Francis Hedgepeth was his brother in law.