Wednesday, May 23, 2012

* Jesse Braswell, Nash Co., NC 1859


In the name of God Amen. I Jesse Braswell of the County of Nash and State of North Carolina, being of sound and perfect mind and memory blessed be God do this the 14 day of April in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred fifty nine, make and publish this my last will and testament in the manner as follows, that is to say: First: I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Mary Ann Braswell after all my just debts are paid all of my estate including money, bonds, lands, and property of every discription during her natural life, to be kept together as heretofore as near possible. 2nd. After my wifes Mary Ann Braswell's death it is my will that out of the estate one hundred and eighty dollars be paid to my grandson William Braswell he being a son of my son Nicholas Braswell. 3rd. I also will that one hundred and eighty dollars be paid out of the said estate to my granddaughter Mary Ann Braswelldaughter of my son Nicholas Braswell nevertheless provided that my grandson William Braswelland my granddaughter Mary Ann Braswell make and convey to my estate the right title and interest they have in six acres of land that belongs to their fathers estate, the said six acres a part of the tract of land whereon I now live, now in the event that this interest is not conveyed to my estate it is then my will that they my grandson William and granddaughter Mary Ann Braswell shall have no part of my estate. 4th. I also will and bequeath to my granddaughter Addie Braswell a daughter of my sonJohn Braswell at the death of my beloved wife Mary Ann Braswell one hundred dollars provided the said Addie Braswell be then living.  5th. After which it is my will that the balance of my estate be equally divided between my sons Edward, Madison, and Jefferson and My two daughters Lucy andLouisiana Braswell, reserving - four hundred dollars for the support of my daughter Eliza Braswellwhich sum is to be placed in the hands of my son William for the above purpose and at her death if any part of the above sum of four hundred dollars shall be unapplied that the remaining shall be equally divided between my five youngest children to wit Edward, Madison, Jefferson, Lucy and Louisiana N B. Now in the first ---- I gave to my beloved wife Mary Ann Braswell all of my estate during her natural life be it understood it is upon the condition that she never marries, but in the event that she marries again it is my will that she draws a childs part and the balance of my estate be then equally divided between my five youngest children to wit Lucy, Edward, Louisiana Jefferson andMadison now now in this ---- of this my last will and testament. I make and ordain my beloved wifeMary Ann Braswell executrix to the same. In witness whereof I the said Jesse Braswell have to this my last will and testament set my hand and seal the day and year above written.
signed, sealed published and declared Jesse his X mark Braswell  (Seal)
by the said Jesse Braswell the testator as his last will and testament in the presence of us who were presence at the time of signing and sealing thereof the above instrument. test. A Wester, Thomas Davis, Benja L Arrington.
State of North Carolina. court of pleas and quarter session
Nash County   Feby term 1865
A paper writing purporting to be the last will and testament of Jesse Braswell is offered for probation on the testimony of B.L Arrington one of the subscribing witnesses thereto who duly proves the same and also A Wester and Thomas Davis the other subscribing witnesses that he saw them subscribe their names in the presence of the testator to the said will as witnesses.  It is ordered by the court that the said will be admitted to probate as the last will and testament of the said Jesse Braswell and is ordered to be recorded whereupon Mary Ann Braswell the executrix named comes into court and duly qualifies as such. Attest B.H.Sorsby C.C.C. and is recorded in obedience thereto Attest B.H. Sorsby, C.C.C. 
April 14, 1859 - February Court 1865
(Nash Co., NC WB I 1878-1868 Pg. 592)


Updated from abstract to full will on May 23, 2012