Monday, December 7, 2009

Jeremiah Looper, Pickens Dist., SC 1856



Last Will and Testament of Jeremiah Looper

The State of South Carolina


IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN: I, Jeremiah Looper, Senior, of Pickens District in the said State, being of sound and disposing mind and memory, do hereby make publish and ordain thi my last will and testament.

First, I commit my soul to Almighty God who gave it, and my body to the earth from whence it came to be decently buried by my Executors hereinafter named.

And as to all my worldly estate real, personal and mixed, I give, bequeath and devise the same as follows, viz -

1. - After the payment of my just debts, I give devise and bequeath to my beloved wife Mary Looper, the one-third part of all my estate, to have and to hold the same to her and her heirs forever.

2. - If my said wife Mary Looper desires it so, I direct and devise that she may take any portion of my land surrounding and including my dwelling house that she may wish, in her said one-third of my estate, at its value to be ascertained and fixed by the appraisers of my personal estate.

3. The rest residue and remainder of my estate I will devise and direct shall be divided and disposed of as follows, viz: One tenth part to the children or their surviving issue of my daughter Eleanor Skelton, deceased, to be equally divided amongst the said children of Eleanor Skelton, and if any of her children be dead leaving children at my death, the said children to take amongst them respectively the share of their deceased parent.

One-tenth part to my daughter Matilda Cantrell the wife of Wiley Cantrell.

One-tenth part to my daughter Rutha Braswell, to her and her heirs forever.

One-tenth part to my son Joseph Looper, to his and his heirs forever.

One-tenth part to my son Samuel Looper, to him and his heirs forever.

One-tenth part to my son Thomas Looper, to him and his heirs forever.

One-tenth part to my daughter Polly Robinson and her husband John Robinson, to them and their heirs foorever.

One-tenth part to my daughter Betsy Rackley, the wife of Reddin Rackley.

One-tenth part to my daughter Sarah Julin, the wife of Washington Julin.

One-tenth part to my son Jeremiah Looper, Junior, to him and his heirs forever.

The portions of my estate thus bequeathed and devised to the children of Eleanor Skelton, to Matilda Cantrell, to Betsy Rackley and to Sarah Julin, I will and direct shall be held by my Executors hereinafter named in trust for the sole separate and exclusive use of the said legatees respectively for and during the term of their respective natural lives, free from any control contract debt or liability of any present or future husband of any and all of the said female legatees, and at the death of the said legatees respectively to deliver the same to their children to have and to hold to them and their heirs forever.

3. If either of my sons who have been living on my lands so desire, they may have and take the lands so occupied by them innpart of their respective shares. The said land to be laid off and valued by the appraisers of my personal estate.

4. I hold a judgement debt as well as other debts against the estate of Arthur Braswell, deceased. Any portion of the same remaining unpaid at my death must be deducted from the share of Rutha Braswell aforesaid.

5. Except what I have above setforth I will and direct that no charges shall be made against my children for any help I have given them or any advancements I have made them.

6. My Executors are hereby authorized and instructed to sell and convey all my real and personal estate as soon as practicable after my death, except such lands as may be taken by my wife or sons as aforesaid. The same to be sold at such time and on such terms as the Ordinary may direct for the purpose of paying my debts and the legacies created by this my will.

7. I hereby appoint my sons Joseph Looper and Thomas Looper to be the Executors of this my last Will and Testament. February 22'd, 1856.

Jeremiah (his X mark) Looper, Senior {SEAL}

Signed sealed published and declared by Jeremiah Looper, Senior, to be his last Will and Testament, in our presence, who at his request and and in his presence of each other have signed our names as witnesses hereto.

R.B. Duncan
James Robinson
Stephen Powell

South Carolina}
Pickens District}

Personally appeared before me Stephen Powell who being duly sworn saith that he was present and did see Jeremiah Looper sign the foregoing by making his mark as and for his last Will and Testament and that R.B. Duncan & James Robinson were present and signed their names with himself as witnesses to the same in presence of each other and the testator.

Sworn to before me April 15th 1861. W.E. Holcombe, O.P.D. Stephen Powell, Sen.

Recorded in Pickens District Will Book No. 2, pages 36-37.

South Carolina Archives

NOTE: Arthur Braswell appears to be the son of William & Susan Braswell of Newberry County, South Carolina which would make him a grandson of David Braswell & Nancy Rutherford and a descendant of the Reverend Robert Bracewell through Richard Braswell the 1st and his wife Sarah.