Monday, November 12, 2007

* Benjamin Bracewell, Edgecombe Co., NC, 1789



The last will and Testament of
Benjamin Bracewell of the County of Edgecombe
in the state of North Carolina Testifieth ~
and declared that I being in a Low state of
Health but in perfect mind and memory &
Calling to mind ye Frailty of this body and
the certainty of death do make this my last
will and Testament in manner and form as following
Viz first I do give and commend my soul into the
hand of God who gave it and my body to the earth
be intered with decent and Christian Burial at
the discretion of my Executors hereafter to be named
and as for what worldly goods and estate it hath
pleased God to Bless me with all I do Give and
bequeath and dispose of as followeth
Imprimis to my true and loving wife Mary I do
Lend my plantation and all my Living stock for
her and during her natural Life or widowhood who
I do hereby appoint with my beloved Son James
Bracewell
to be my true sole & Lawful Execu~
trix and Executor to see this my last will and
Testament duly and truly executed according
to Law Item to my well beloved Son James
Bracewell
I do will and bequeath all that
Land which belongs to me Below the watry
Branch and on ye North side of ye Mill Branch
also one featherbed and Furniture to him and his Heirs
and assigns for ever Item to my well beloved
Son John Bracewell I do give and Bequeath
one Hundred and twenty five Acres of Land Lying
on Town Creek Joining Thomas Mercers Land to
him and his Heirs and assigns forever and also
one bed and furniture ~ Item to my beloved
Son Lemon Bracewell I do give and bequeath
all the remainder of my Land lying on ye North
Side of ye Mill Joining to ye Watry Branch &
of said Mill Branch to him his Heirs and
assigns forever and also one bed and Furniture
Item to my beloved Sons Sadoc and Permenter
Bracewell
I do will and bequeath the
plantation which I have lent to their
mother to be as near as it can be Equally
divided between them my last mentioned
Sons at her my said Wifes death or Marriage
and also each of them a Feather bed and Fur~
niture to them and their Heirs and assigns
forever ~ Item I do will and Bequeath
to my beloved Son Simon Bracewell one
negro Boy Called All~~ to him and his Heirs
forever and also one featherbed and Furniture
To my beloved Grand Daughter Polly Ruffin
daughter of Mille Ruffin I do will and Bequeath
one featherbed and Furniture
Item to my Daughter Selah Ruffin wife
of Samuel Ruffin
I do will and Bequeath
five Cattle & five sheep one bed and furniture
already in possesion ~ Item to my Daughter
Winey Bracewell I do will and Bequeath
one Negro Girl named Annis and one bed
and Furniture Item I do will three
Negroes Viz Bet Lettice Lavory or as many
of them as shall be found alive at the death
or Marriage of Mary my wife I say I do
Give and Bequeath them to be at that time
Equally to be divided amongst my said
Children or such of them as shall be Living
at her death or Marriage In Witness
whereof I Have hereunto set my hand and fixed
my seal this 25th day of February in the year
1789 signed sealed published pronounced and
declared to be the last will & Testament of
in presence of

Thomas Mercer Benjamin Bracewell {seal}
his
Thomas X Williams
mark

Edgecombe County May Court 1792 The
within will was duly proved in open Court
proved by the Oath of Thomas Williams The
Executors were at the same time Qualified
and the will ordered to be recorded

Test
Edward Hall CC

Contributed by Judy Griffin
Transcribed by Ann Braswell

NOTE: Benjamin is the son of James Braswell