Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Farmer, Benjamin, Edge. Co., 1825

North Carolina}
Edgecomb County }
In the nam of God amen I Benjamin Farmer, being in perfect mind and memory, and knowing that all men is ordained to die, make and constitute this my last will and testament___After paying debts – I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Elizabeth Farmer during her life or widdow hood the following, Zed and Baltimore, Jude, Rhode & Patience, (5 negroes) House hold and kitchen furnature, and farming utentials sufficient to carry on a farm; negro Boy Aaron; Two Hundred and twenty five acres Land which includes the Deloach Tract, also all on the north side of the Tarborough road which belonged to the Newbern Tract, - 2 Horses, 4 cows & calves, 4 sows & pigs, 4 Ewes, - I give and bequeath unto my Beloved son William Farmer all the Land I own on the north side of Harmony Swamp that joins, with exception of his mothers life IE (?) as above stated (I mean for my wife to hold the part above mentioned her life or widdow hood then to him the said William) – I give and bequeath unto my son Braswell Farmer Two Hundred and fourteen acres of Land more or less lying & being in the County & state aforesaid & on the north side of Toisnot Swamp and adjoining the Land of Moses Farmer and Arthur D.Farmer, it being part of a tract of land drawn by me and my wife Elizabeth, by death of William Dew— I give and bequeath unto Sally Hollowell daughter of Benjamin Farmer forty shillings – I give and bequeath unto the Heirs of John Barnes (Toit) Thomas, Betsey, Sally, Beedy, Dempsey, & Nancy Twenty four Dollars to be equally divided amongst them. – It is my will and desire that the Balance of my negroes be equally divided amongst the following Heirs Absolom, Dew, Braswell, Beedy, Nancy, Jacob, Elizabeth, Arthur D. Farmer & William D. Farmer --, also at the death of my wife Elizabeth, it is my will and desire , that the negroes afore given to her and their increase if any be equally divided between the afore mentioned Heirs (Toit) Absolom Farmer, Dew Farmer, Braswell Farmer, Beedy White, Nancy Dew, Jacob Farmer, Elizabeth Aimason, Arthur D. Farmer & William D. Farmer – My will and desire is that the Land and all other property not given by me in this my last will and Testament be sold by my Executor and after paying all my just debts as afore stated to be equally and imparsially divided between the afore named Heirs (Toit) Absolom Farmer, Dew Farmer, Braswell Farmer, Beedy White, Nancy Dew, Jacob Farmer, Elizabeth Aimason, Arthur D. Farmer & William D. Farmer – This 16th March 1825. I nominate and appoint my affectionate son William D. Farmer Executor to my last will and Testament. –

Signed sealed and }
Acknowledged in presents }

his
Isaac F. Wood
X
Benjamin Farmer (seal)
(signed) Hansel D.
Griffith
mark


Edgecomb
County
February Court 1827

The within last Will and Testament of Benjamin Farmer dec’d was exhibited in open Court for Probate and was proven by the oath of Isaac F. Wood, one of the subscribing witnesses thereto – And William D.Farmer the Executor therein named at the same time qualified thereto. Ordered that the same be certified and the Will recorded.

Test. (signed) Michl Heamlet