Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Benjamin Sherrod, Emanuel Co., GA

Georgia}
Emanuel County} In the name of God Amen I Benjamin Sherod of the State and County aforesaid knowing that life is uncertain and that all men must die without being conf---d by affection do make and ordain this my last will and testament Item In persuance my and desire is that all my Just debts be paid and discharged Item To my beloved wife I give and bequeath the for-owing property to wit: My negro man caled Washington to her and her heirs forever I also leave to my beloved wife Benetar during her natural life the following property to wit my negro man caled Ned and woman caled Mary and Peg(?) also during her natural life as afor------ the use of the plantation on which I live with all my stock of horses except as hereafter excepted cows hogs sheep and goats and farmy utensils of every discription also all my household and kitchen furnitur excep--as hereinafter excepted. Item I give and bequeath to my son Benjamin Sherod a tract of land in Muscogee County granted to Ashford Jurkues for 202 1/2 acres also the plantation on which I now live after the death of his Mother and my negro girl called Mariah and my horse caled ---------- and his bridle and saddle and one feather bed and furniture to him and his heirs forever Item My will and desire is that the property which I have loaned to my wife Benetar Sherod during her natural life for the support of her and my ---------daughter Benetar at the death of my wife be equally divided among my children provided my wife should outlive my --------daughter as aforesaid but if -- --------- child should or shall be the lo-ges- lia-----the above property as aforesaid -- be divided at her death. Item I give and bequeath unto my son William G. Sherod the tract of land on which he now lives Granted to Robert Braswell for five hundred acres and the one half of lot 174 in the second district of Caroll County also one negro boy Called Dick the -----to him and his heirs forever. Item I give and grant to my son John Sherod the tract of land on the River Granted to William Hart for three hundred acres also the one half of lot no 174 in the said district in Carol County also one negro Girl Caled Bit also one horse called his own with his Bridle and Saddle and one feather Bed and furniture for the ---- to him and his heirs forever Item My will and desire is that my wife Benetta with the use of the above property which I have given and loaned to her keep and support my daughter Benetar -- -- --- child. Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Rachel $----to be hers and hers forever Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter B------ one feather Bed and furniture to her and her heirs forever Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Caroline one negro Girl caled Cloe and one feather Bed and furniture to her ----her heirs forever Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Nancy my negro Girl caled Hariet and $200.00 dollars and one feather bed and furniture to her and her heirs forever. Item My will and desire is that my three sons have the Guardianship of my ----- child in case she should live longer than her mother she and her property to be kept and disposed of as the majority shall order and direct Item my will and desire is that my wife should have the crop that may be growing on the plantation at the time of my decease Item my will is that all my property not disposed of by this will should be sold by my executors at my wifes decease And lastly I do nominate and constitute and appoint my beloved Son Wm G Sherod John Sherod Benjamin Sherod Executors to this my last will and testament

(Rest of will unavailable at this time, however the following items were found in online google books, rootsweb lists, friends, & the archives. Are Simon & Benjamin Sherrod related?)

1785 - March 7, Samuel Braswell, 150 acres in Burke County on Ogeechee and Bark Camp adjoining Kindred Braswell, Robert Braswell & Simon Sherod. (Georgia Archives)

1813 - Robert Braswell, 500 acres on Long Creek in Emanuel County. (Georgia Archives)

1821 - September 3, Nancy Boatright, orphan of Daniel, deceased, Margaret (Braswell) Boatright, Sion Kirkham and Edward Surrency, guardians. Benjamin Sherrod, guardian, George Dekle, sec. September 4, 1826. (Emanuel) Georgia Intestate Records

1829 - July 16, Julian Barnes, orphan of James, deceased, Benjamin Sherrod, Jesse Scarborough, guardian. (Emanuel)

1830 - October 2, Saturday, Sheriff Sales...will be sold...287 1/2 acres of land, adjoining Thomas Drew and James Wealea, levied on as the property of James Wealea, to satisfy executions or fi fas in favor of Benjamin Sherrard vs. James Wealea and Josiah C. Drew. John Oglesbey, Sheriff. (Union Recorder, Milledgeville)

1836 - August 6, Benjamin Sherrod, deceased, Thomas Drew, administrator, appr. (Emanuel)

1836 - August 16, Tuesday, All those indebted to the estate of Benjamin Sherard, late of said county, deceased, or owed money by that estate, must make immediate payment or present their notes for payment. William G. Sherard, Adm. (Southern Recorder, Millegeville)

1843 - January 16, Beneta Sherod, minor of Benjamin, deceased, William Sherod, guardian, John Sherod, Benjamin Sherod, Joseph Dunn, sur. (Emanuel)

1843 - January 16, Susan Sherod, minor of Benjamin, deceased, William Sherod, guardian, John Sherod, Benjamin Sherod, Joseph Dunn, sur. (Emanuel)

1844 - March 19, Tuesday, Will be sold...all the property belonging to the estate of Benjamin Sherrod, late of said county, deceased. Sold for the benefit of the heirs and creditors of said estate. William G. Sherrod, Adm. (Southern Recorder, Milledgeville)

1847 - July 20, Tuesday, All persons are hereby cautioned against trading for 15 $30 notes, as follows: "Emanuel County, January 5, 1847. On the first day of January next, we or either of us, promise to pay John Wiggins, administrator, or bearer, on estate of Jesse Wiggins, deceased, $30, value received. T.A. Parsons, William G. Sherrod, Benjamin Sherrod." The consideration for the above notes having entirely failed, I shall not pay them unless compelled by law. T.A. Parsons, Burke County.

1854 - June 6, Tuesday, Sheriff Sales...will be sold...400 acres of land adjoining Thomas Drew, levied on as the property of Benjamin Sherrard, to satisfy executions or fi fas in favor of E.A. Rhaney, William G. Sherrod, security...Henry Brown, Sheriff. (Southern Recorder, Milledgeville)