Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Edmund Spencer, Southampton Co., VA 1784



In the name of God Amen. I Edmund Spencer of the Parish of St. Luke
and the County of Southampton being sick & weak of bady but of sound and disposing mind and memory thanks be given to almighty God for the same, do make and constitute this my last will and testament in form and manner following. Imprimis I give and bequeath to my two Sons David & William and their heirs forever the plantation whereon I now live & land there unto belonging, to be equally divided between them, but if either of my said Sons should die without heirs lawfully begotten of his body, my will and desire is that the Survivor should hold the whole tenement hereby intended to be divided between them to him and his heirs forever. I give and bequeath to my Son Ezekiel & his heirs forever the plantation whereon he now lives and land thereunto belonging, also two cows, six head of hogs & two sheep. I lend to my Son in law Nathan Jackson & his wife Sarah the use of the land I purchased of Arthur Vick during both their lives and after their decease my will is that the said land be equally ------ my surviving children or their heirs. Also I give my said Son in law two sheep. I give and bequeath unto my Son Jesse & his heirs forever a tract or parcel of land containing by estimation fifty acres more or less lying and being situated on the South side of Dicks swamp also one cow & six head of hogs. I give and bequeath to my Son David one ferrell mare bridle and saddle also one pair of silver shoe buckels one large ------ chest one long Gun and one feather bed & furniture. I give and bequeath unto my son William one dark bay horse bridle and saddle, one small Gun and one feather bed & furniture. My will and desire is that the whole of my store goods that remain unsold be equally divided between my wife Mary & all my children and one Case containing fifteen ----- Bottles. I give and bequeath to my son-in law Drewry BEAL one Case containing twelve --- Bottles also one large iron bound chest & two head of sheep. I give to my daughter Elizabeth my flex wheel. I lend to my wife Mary the use of the desk during her life and after her decease I give the same to my daughter Elizabeth also I give my said wife Mary six sheep to be at her own choosing out of my flock. I like wise lend the use of the bed & furniture whereon I now lie to my said wife Mary during her life and after her decease, I give the same to my daughter Elizabeth. I furthermore devise that the plantation utensiles, hand mill, grind stone, pots & racks, box iron, all the bar & old iron cyder hogsheads barrels & c, woolen wheel & cards, Loom & Gear be and remain on the plantation for the use thereof. I give and bequeath to my wife Mary & son David the remainder of my cattle & hogs that are not already disposed of for their use during the life of my said wife & at her demise I give the whole of what are left on the plantation to my Son David. As to the remainder of my Estate not already disposed of my will & desire is that it be sold at the discretion of my Executors Hereafter named and the money arising theron after payment of my just debts and legal ---- be equally divided between my wife Mary & all my children. Lastly, I do appoint my friend George Gurley & son in law Drewry Beal Executors of this my last will & testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & affixed my Seal this 1st day of September Anno Domini 1784. Edmund (X) Spencer
Signed, seal & published and declared as and for my last will & testament in the presence of Howell Whittington John Beal (his mark)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1765 - October 10, Arthur Vick and wife Elizabeth to Edmund Spencer, ? acres on the south side of the Nottoway River adj. William Registers, John Gurley, Nicholas Gurley, William Hatfield, and Thomas Edwards (patent to Richard Vick on 12 Jul 1750), S: Arthur (A) Vick and Elizabeth (I) Vick, W: George (signed) Gurley Jr and Lazarus (signed) Whitehead (Pages 381-382)

1750 - July 12, Richard Vick, 335 acres on the south side of Nottoway River beginning at a corner of George Gurley's land by the side of Wolf Pit Branch. (Library of Virginia)

1745 - September 20, Arthur Crocker, 250 acres on the north side of the Meherran River by the side of the Whitewood Swamp & by the side of the Wolf Pit Branch. (Library of Virginia)

1746 - August 28, John Rachell, 250 acres on the south side of Nottoway River, on the east side of the Whitewood Swamp, on the north side of (Dr?) Brown's Branch, a corner of Arthur Crocker's land & "a corner of James Braswell's land" (Library of Virginia)

NOTE: James Braswell is the son of Susannah Burgess Braswell.

1777 - September 13, John Beal Will: To son Drury land adjoining Dr. Browne and Howell Whittington; son Burwell; son John; wife Liddia. Ex., Joseph Johnson. Wit: George Gurley, Thomas Edwards, Jacob Braswell. (Southampton Co., VA WB III Pg. 199) R. Feb 12, 1778

1764 - March 29, Benjamin Johnston will. Leg. Wife Mary, son Joseph, son Job, son Stephen, son Jacob, daughter Mary Godwin, son John, son William, daughter Ann Wooten, daughter Sarah Barret, grandson Jesse Johnston, between my three children Lucy, Stephen and Henry Johnston, daughter Lydia Beel. (Southampton Co., VA WB 2 Pg 187)

1752 - May 18, Benjamin Johnson (Jr): Wife: Anne, son Jesse, son Joshua, daughters Martha, Elizabeth, Anne. Executors wife Anne and brother Jacob Johnson. R. Aug 13, 1752. Wit: James Scott, Mary Johnson, Sarah Speed. (Southampton Co., VA WB I Pg 94)

1752 - October 12, Benjamin Johnson Jr. estate appraised by Job Wright, George Speed, and Arthur Edwards. (Southampton Co., VA WB I Pg 97)

1744 - April 21, Richard Braswell Will: Leg: Son William and son Joseph my Exs., daughter Elizabeth, son John, loving wife. R. Aug 26 1745. Wit: Benjamin Johnson Jr., Joseph Woodward, Arthur Edwards. (IOW Co., VA WB IV P 541)

1746 - March 12, Joseph Braswell and wife Sarah and William Braswell and wife Sarah sold 100 acres to Richard Vick on Nottoway Swamp for 19 pounds that their father Richard Braswell bought from Moses Faircloth in 1736. (IOW Co., VA DB 7 Part 2 Pg 445-447)

NOTE: Richard Braswell is the son of Susannah Burgess Braswell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1787 - Elizabeth Spencer, daughter of Edmund Spencer, married William Fiers in Southampton County, Virginia. (Virginia Marriages to 1800)

1817 - September 30, Lucy Firs, daughter of William Fiers and Elizabeth Spencer married Elijah Braswell in Halifax County, North Carolina. (County Court Records - FHL # 1002774-1002775)