Monday, May 12, 2008

Hunter, Seth, IOW Co., VA 1759

Contributed by Carey Bracewell

In the Name of God Amen I SETH HUNTER of the Parish of Newport in the County of Isle of Wight being Sick and Weak in Body but of sound & Perfect Sense & Memory thanks be to God for the same, do think proper to make this Writing my last Will and Testament in manner and form following -


FIRST I recommend my Soul into the Hands of Allmighty God hoping through the Merits of my blessed Saviour to receive Pardon of all my Sins and my Body to be decently buried at the Discretion of my Executrix hereafter named, and as for my Worldly Estate I dispose of the same as followeth


ITEM I Give & Bequeath to my loving Wife Mary Hunter my Land & Plantation whereon I lately lived, lying on the first Swamp of Black Water in the said County of Isle of Wight to her and her Heirs forever to be sold for the Payment of my Debts, but if my said Wife can conveniently pay my Debts out of my personal Estate without selling the said Land, then I Give and Bequeath the said Land & Plantation to my loving Wife Mary during her Natural Life, and after her Decease I Give and Bequeath the same to my Daughter Frances Hunter to her and her Heirs forever, upon Condition that she pay to my Daughter Rodith Hunter, the Child which I had by PRISCILLA BRASWELL the Sum of five Pounds Current Money of Virginia.


ITEM I Give and Bequeath to my loving Wife Mary the Use and Labour of my Negro Man Slave named James during her Natural Life and after her Decease, I Give & Bequeath the said Negro Man Slave named James to my Son Seth Hunter and his Heirs forever, upon Condition that he pay to my said Daughter Rodith Hunter when he possesses the said Slave the sum of five Pounds Current Money of Virginia.


ITEM I Give and Bequeath to my loving Wife Mary Hunter the use and Labour of my Negro Man Slave named Bristol during her Natural Life and after her Decease I Give & Bequeath the said Negro Slave named Bristol to my Son Emanuel Hunter and his Heirs for ever, upon Condition that he pay to my Daughter the said Rodith Hunter the Sum of five Pounds Current Money of Virginia when he possesses the said Negro Slave.


ITEM I Give and Bequeath unto my loving Wife Mary the use of all my Personal Estate during her natural Life and after her Decease I Give the same to be equally divided between my four Children, Frances Hunter, Seth Hunter, Emanuel Hunter and Rodith Hunter to them and their Heirs forever, And lastly I do appoint and Constitute my loving Wife Mary Hunter my whole and Sole Executrix of this my last Will & Testament hereby revoaking and making Void all former Wills by me heretofore made In Witness whereof I hereunto set my Hand & Affixed my Seal this second Day of May one Thousand Seven Hundred & fifty Nine.


Signed, Sealed, Published & Declared to be his last Will & Testament, Seth Hunter /LS/
In presence of

Richard Baker

Benjamin Pynes

John Day


At a Court held for Isle of Wight County Septr 6th, 1759

The last Will & Testament of Seth Hunter deced was presented in Court by Mary Hunter the Executrix therein named who made Oath thereto and being proved by the Oath of Richard Baker and John Day two of the Witnesses thereto, is Ordered to be Recorded.
Teste Richd Baker Cl.

WILL BOOK 6, PAGE 311