Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Spencer, Edmund, Southampton Co., VA 1784



In the name of God Amen. I Edmund Spencer of the Parish of St. Luke and the County of
Southampton being sick & weak of body but of sound and disposing mind and memory thanks be given to almighty God for the same, do make and constitute this my last will and testament in form and manner following. Imprimis
I give and bequeath to my two Sons David & William and their heirs forever the plantation whereon I now live & land there unto belonging, to be equally divided between them, but if either of my said Sons should die without heirs lawfully begotten of his body, my will and desire is that the Survivor should hold the whole tenement hereby intended to be divided between them to him and his heirs forever.
I give and bequeath to my Son Ezekiel & his heirs forever the plantation whereon he now lives and land thereunto belonging, also two cows, six head of hogs & two sheep.
I lend to my Son in law Nathan Jackson & his wife Sarah the use of the land I purchased of Arthur Vick during both their lives and after their decease my will is that the said land be equally-----my surviving children or their heirs. Also I give my said Son in law two sheep.
I give and bequeath unto my Son Jesse & his heirs forever a tract or parcel of land containing by estimation fifty acres more or less lying and being situated on the South side of Dicks swamp also one cow & six head of hogs.
I give and bequeath to my Son David one ferrell mare bridle and saddle also one pair of silver shoe buckels one large ____ chest one long Gun and one feather bed & furniture.
I give and bequeath unto my son William one dark bay horse bridle and saddle, one small Gun and one feather bed & furniture.
My will and desire is that the whole of my store goods that remain unsold be equally divided between my wife Mary & all my childrn and one Case containing fifteen __ Bottles.
I give and bequeath to my son in law Drewry Beal one Case containing twelve __ Bottles also one large iron bound chest & two head of sheep.
I give to my daughter Elizabeth my flex wheel.
I lend to my wife Mary the use of the desk during her life and after her decease I give the same to my daughter Elizabeth also I give my said wife Mary six sheep to be at her own choosing out of my flock. I like wise lend the use of the bed & furniture whereon I now lie to my said wife Mary during her life and after her decease, I give the same to my daughter Elizabeth.
I furthermore devise that the plantation utensiles, hand mill, grind stone, pots & racks, box iron, all the bar & old iron cyder hogsheads barrels & c, woolen wheel & cards, Loom & Gear be and remain on the plantation for the use thereof.
I give and bequeath to my wife Mary & son David the remainder of my cattle & hogs that are not already disposed of for their use during the life of my said wife & at her demise I give the whole of what are left on the plantation to my Son David.
As to the remainder of my Estate not already disposed of my will & desire is that it be sold at the discretion of my Executors Hereafter named and the money arising theron after payment of my just debts and legal ___ be equally divided between my wife Mary & all my children.
Lastly, I do appoint my friend George Gurley & son in law Drewry Beal Executors of this my last will & testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & affixed my Seal this 1st day of September Anno Domini 1784.
Signed, seal & published and declared as and for my last will & testament in the presence of

Howell WHITTINGTON

John BEAL (his mark)

Edmund (X) SPENCER

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is not a Braswell will, nor does it mention any Braswells, but it is a key research document for the Braswells because Elizabeth Spencer's daughter married Elijah Braswell and Drewry Beal's brother in law Benjamin Johnston Jr witnessed the will of Richard Braswell.


1. Arthur Vick is the son/grandson of Richard Vick who owned land adjacent to Richard Braswell d. 1745 IOW Co., VA. Richard Vick bought Richard Braswell's land from William & Joseph Braswell.


2. Drewry Beal is the son of John Beal.


3. John Beal married Lydia Johnston sister of Benjamin Johnston Jr.


4. Benjamin Johnston Jr. witnessed the 1744 IOW Co., VA will of Richard Braswell.


5. According to the records Richard Braswell was the son of Susannah Burgess Braswell & Richard Towle. (See wills of Susannah & Towle in Document Archive)


6. Elizabeth Spencer married William Fiers December 13, 1787. Their daughter Lucinda Fiers married Elijah Braswell September 30, 1817.


Supporting Documentation:


Richard Vick of Nottoway Parish. Leg. son Josiah; daughter Patty; wife Martha; son Arthur; son Jacob; son Richard; son William; son Joshua. Exs. friends Jesse Brown & Albridgton Jones. D. Jul 23, 1757. R. Aug 10, 1758. Wit: Joseph Newsum, Henry Johnson, George Gurley, Jr. (Southampton Co., VA. WB I Pg 260)


Arthur Vick Leg: ______and his heirs; son Shadrack; son Arthur; son Samuel. Exs. sons Arthur & Samuel Vick. D. Apr 9, 1777. R. Dec 14, 1780. Wit: George Gurley, Thomas Edmunds, John Beal. (Southampton, Co., VA WB III Pg 306)


John Beall Leg: To son Drury land adjoining Dr. Browne and Howell Whittington, son Burwell, son John. Wife Liddia. Extr: Joseph Johnson. Wit: George Gurley, Thomas Edwards, Jacob Braswell. D. 13 Sep 1777 R. 12 Feb, 1778 (Southampton Co., VA DB 3 Pg 197)


Richard Braswell Leg: son William and son Joseph my executors, daughter Elizabeth, son John, loving wife D. April 21, 1744 R. August 26, 1745 Wit: Benjamin Johnson Jr., Joseph Woodard, Arthur Edwards (IOW Co., VA WB IV Pg 541) Inventory of estate returned by William and Joseph Braswell R. January 27, 1745 (IOW Co., VA WBV Pg 9)


Richard Towle Leg: my three youngest children of Susanna Braswell, Richard William and Elizabeth Braswell. Executor: "loving friend" John Riggs. D.5th of 9ber 1692. R. February 9, 1692. Wit: Thomas Moore, Robert Horner, Sarah Wakefield. (IOW Co., VA W&D Bk 2 Pg 323)


Susannah Braswell Leg: son Richard, son William, granddaughter Elizabeth Braswell, daughter Ann, grandson John Riggs, son James. Trustees Richard Jones and Richard Jordan. D. October 22, 1714 R. June 26, 1732 Wit: William Allen, Richard Jones, Richard Jordan. (IOW Co., VA WB III Pg 304)


Richard Vick 250 acres in Isle of Wight County, North side of Nottoway River, of Bardens Branch, corner of Ann Thornton's line, corner of John Jent's line, Richard Braswell's line on January 12, 1746. (Land patent Book 24 Pg. 613-614)


Benjamin Johnson Leg: wife Anne, son Jesse, son Joshua, daughter Martha, daughters Elizabeth and Anne. Extrs: wife Anne and brother Jacob Johnson. D. May 18, 1752 R. Aug 13, 1752. Wit: James Scott, Mary Johnson, Sarah Speed. ( Southampton Co., VA WB I Pg 94)


Benjamin Johnson Jr estate appraised by Job Wright, George Speed and Arthur Edwards. (Southampton Co., VA WB I Pg 97)


Benjamin Johnston estate settled by George Gurley Jr., James Jordan Scott and Samuel Brown. R. Jan 12, 1759 (Southampton Co., VA WB I Pg 283)


Benjamin Johnston Leg: wife Mary, son Joseph, son Job, son Stephen, son Jacob, daughter Mary Godwin, son John, son William, daughter Ann Wooten, daughter Sarah Barret, grandson Jesse Johnston, between my three children, Lucy, Stephen and Henry Johnston, daughter Lydia Beel D. Mar 29, 1764 (Southampton Co., VA WB II Pg 187)


Benjamin Johnson estate appraised by Job Wright, George Washington, and John Joyner R. August 13, 1767 (Southampton Co., VA WB II Pg 215)


Benjamin Johnson estate appraised by Job Wright, John Joiner and George Washington. Estate audited by Job Wright, John Beal and James Jordan Scott. Signed Joseph Johnson Ex. R. July 14, 1768 (Southampton Co., VA WB II Pg 245)


Elizabeth Spencer & William Fiers married 13 December 1787 in Southampton Co., VA.

Source Information: Dodd, Jordan. Virginia Marriages to 1800 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1997. Original data: Electronic transcription of marriage records held by the individual counties in Virginia.


Groom: Elijah Braswell
Bride: Lucy Firs
Bond Date: 30 Sep 1817
Bond #: 000061804
Level Info: North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
ImageNum: 002600
County: Halifax
Record #: 01 025
Bondsman: William Furs
Witness: Richard Eppes

Source Information: Ancestry.com. North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000. Original data: State of North Carolina. An Index to Marriage Bonds Filed in the North Carolina State Archives. Raleigh, NC, USA: North Carolina Division of Archives and History, 1977.


Documented Corrections Welcome