Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Henry Braswell, Camden Dist, SC 1800



A Record of the Descendants of Isaac Ross and Jean Brown
By Annie Julia Mims

DIARY OF ARTHUR BROWN ROSS

This diary was written by A. B. Ross while he was a resident of South Carolina. His home was near Camden and also near the Wateree River. He operated a ferry on the Wateree, and his various plantations are shown on the map.

Page 57

WEDNESDAY, February 26, 1800

Rose early. Russell and Jenkins went to Mr. Whitaker's for a plat of this plantation and got it. Granted a summons for William Miller against William Watts for a sum under three pounds. Mr. Jameson here and took the summons. Got my seine hung. Luke White got one gallon whiskey, 4-8. HENRY BRASWELL wanted to sue --------to a settlement, Jameson called, with Jake Killingsworth. He wanted to see oats. Jameson says William Watts is in custody of the sheriff. I sent Mr. Belton word. He came, got a sheriff's warrant and 11 pounds. Davis carried it on two horses, I heard them say. Mr. Belton left the horses in my care, one a gray, one a bay. Major Whitaker and family here. Mrs. Mary Whitaker and son, John Whitaker, all dead. Messrs. Russell and Jenkins here. Dr. Knox came late. Ned brought $3 from the ferry.


Page 64

TUESDAY, September 1, 1801.

I am not well, and a-bed till late. Colonel Hutchison came and went for home. I am resting all day. Many coming and going to and from the springs. MRS. BRASWELL came. I bought four lbs cheese, paid 1.2. Solomon Nipper came and brought me 100 pounds of flour. I paid him $5.50, and 1.0 for bran. I bathed twice today.