Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Muse, James, Cumberland Co., NC 1780



In the name of God amin


I James Muse of the County of Cumberland and province of North Carolina, planter in perfect health of body and memory thanks to God, calling unto Mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do make and ordain this my last will and testament. That is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul to God that gave it and my body I recommend to earth to be buried in decent Christian burial at the discretion of my executors, Nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same by the mighty power of God. And as Touching such things as Worldly estate therewith it has pleased God to bless me within this life I give and devise and dispose of in the following manner and form.

First I lend to Charity, my beloved wife, the manor house and plantation wherein I now live with all the household furniture and stock of all kind to be kept for the use of the family and schooling the children after her decease, the household furniture and stock to be sold at pubic sail with 12 months credit with approved security and the money thence arising to be equally divided amongst all my children except my son Daniel and James and my daughter Ferriba which has already received their full part of the household goods and stock.

Item I give to my son Daniel Muse, three hundred acres of land by the name of the front land and one hundred fifty acres joyning that same called the spring land with that I have already given him to be his full part of my estate. Likewise, I give and bequeath to my son, James Muse, the plantation where one he now lives and the land there unto belonging and 150 acres joyning called striblings folly with what I have already given him to be his full part of my estate.

Item I give and bequeath unto my son, Jesse Muse, the old plantation with the land thereunto belonging and 150 acres joyning above the cain patch and one stone horse called Roebuck, saddle and bridle, and that to be his full part of my estate.

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter, Ferriba Seale, the 200 acres of land she now lives on and negro girl called Chloe with what I have already given her to be her full part of my estate.

Item I give and bequeath unto my son Thos Muse one hundred and fifty acres of land at the mouth of mill swamp taken up by Charles Seale and one hundred and fifty acres between John Howell's and My old place with one gelding called Rainbow, saddle and bridle, and that to be his full part of my estate.

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter, Mary Muse, one negro girl called Venis to be delivered to her at the age of sixteen or the dayof her marriage.

Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter, Charity Muse, one negro girl named Rachel to be delivered to her at the age of sixteen or the day of her marriage.

Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter, Ludda, 200 acres of land joyning Anthony Seale of Virginia and the next child the negro woman Pen shall Bear to be delivered to her at the age of sixteen or day of marriage.

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter, Elizabeth, 150 acres of land on the mill swamp joyning Anthony Seale and taken up by Anthony Seale of Virginia and 300 acres of land on the road joyning Morrison land to be delivered to her at the age of sixteen or the day of her marriage.

Item I give and bequeath to my son, Kindred Muse, the Manor plantation whereon I now live and at his mother's death and the Land thereunto belonging and privilege to build on any part of the land not interrupting his mother.

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter, Martha Muse, one negro girl named Luce to be delivered to her at the age of sixteen or day of marriage.

It is my desire that my beloved wife shall have the use of negro Jo and negro Pen during her Natural life and after her death them with all their not named increase to be sold and the money to be Equally divided Between all my children that is then alive.

It is also my desire . . . . . . a lawful heir their estate shall be sold and the money equally divided between all my children that is then alive.

It is also my desire that when any of my children shall marry that their mother shall give them what she thinks proper and have it valued and take a receipt for the same that may be had at a final settlement after her death.

And I do Constitute, Make, and ordain My dearly beloved wife, Charity Muse, and my loving sons, Daniel and Jesse Muse, Executrix and Executors of this my last will and testament and I do hereby utterly disallow, Revoke, and disannull all and every other former testaments, wills, legacies, bequests, Executions by me . . . . .before named willed or bequeather ratifying and confirming this my last will and testament.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my sealthis 10th day of June 1780.

Signed sealed pronounced and James Muse declared by the sd James Muse as his Seal last will and testament in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names. John Howell Hannah Dean

Note: The wife of James Muse is believed to be Charity Braswell, daughter of Valentine (Jr?) & Patience Braswell of Wake Co., NC.

Charity's grandson on the 1850 Census:

Braswell Muse Union, NC abt 1796 North Carolina

Charity's father in law:

1758 – March 30, JAMES MUSE of Deep River, Cumberland County, NC, wrote his will naming wife SOPHIA, son JAMES a negro named Penelope and what I have already given him, daughter LEDDY CEAL, son THOMAS, son DANIEL (not yet 14 years old), daughter ANNE MUSE, daughter, ANNABARBURY, daughter SOPHIA POPE RUNNELS and her son WILLIAM CEAL MUSE. Executors, wife, son JAMES and CHARLES CEAL. Wit: ROBERT DICKINSON, JAMES BAIN, ISAAC DICKINSON (page 241, Deed Book 1, Cumberland County Register of Deeds)

Contributed by an anonymous researcher.