Friday, September 21, 2007

* Matthew Strickland, IOW Co., VA, 1730



I, Matthew Strickland being very sick and weak but in perfect memory blessed be God and do remembering the Mortality of my Body do give and bestow of what worldly goods God bath been pleased to endow me with in this manner following: Viz: FIRST, I bequeath my Soul to God who gavit and my Body to be buried in a decent manner according to the Diserction of my Executors. ITEM, I give unto my son, John Strickland one hundred acres of land more or less beginning at a Maple and running across the Neck to the Swamp~ I say unto my son, JOHN STRICKLAND and his Heirs forever lawfully begotten of his Body and for want of such Heirs then to the next Heir of the Family---never to go out of the Name of the Family. ITEM, I give unto my son WILLIAM the land of the East Side of the Swamp, I say unto my son, William Strickland and to the Heirs of his Body lawfully Begotten and for want of such Heirs then to the next Heir of the Family never to go out of the Name. ITEM, I give unto my son, Sampson Strickland my now dwelling Plantation and the land thereunto containing one hundred and fifty acres. I say unto my son, SAMPSON STRICKLAND and to the Heirs of his Body lawfully begotten and for want of such Heirs then to the. next .Heir of the Family never to go out of

the Name, ITEM I give unto my son, Matthew Strickland one gray mare with one eye two years old. ITEM, I give unto my son Jacob Strickland one young horse bay aged a year and upwards—ITEM, I give unto my son, JOHN STRICKLAND one dark bay mare aged three years old brand-ed upon the shoulder with James Bryants brand branded by Edward Chittey and Abraham Daw. ITEM, I give unto my son, WILLIAM STRICKLAND one gray mare aged three years old and upward. ITEM, I give unto my son, SAMPSON STRICKLAND one bay mare with a star in her forehead. ITEM, I give unto my daughter, Sarah Strickland one black mare with her ears cropt and her colt if she has one---ITEM, I give unto my daughter Ann Strickland one stone horse branded with two CC one open at the upper part and the other at the under. I give unto my daughter, Elizabeth Strickland one black mare with a Crop in one Ear taken off. ITEM, I give unto my daughter, Jane Strickland one bay mare branded in the buttock with two SS, ITEM, I give unto my daughter, ANN STRICKLAND one bed blankett and sheet already received, two dishes and and one plate already received. ITEM, I give unto my son MATTHEW STRICKLAND four steers to be sold for the families rest I say unto my son MATTHEW STRICKLAND. ITEM, I give unto my son, Joseph Strickland two two year old heifers, one of them with a calf by her side ~ the other has not, I say unto my son JOSEPH STRICKLAND. ITEM, I give unto my son, MATTHEW STRICKLAND Two two year old heifers one of them with a calf by her side the other not, I say unto my son MATTHEW STRICKLAND. ITEM, I give unto my oldest sons a sorrell horse a stone horse to purchase land for them and Jacob with a barren cow to purchase land for them. ITEM, I give unto my sons, JOHN, WILLIAM AND SAMPSON STRICKLAND a two year old heifer a piece, I say unto my sons, JOHN,WILLIAM AND SAMPSON. ITEM, I leave my two eldest sons in charge with their brothers cattle and their increase to take care of them, ITEM, I give unto my son, JOSEPH STRICKLAND a feather bed and furniture and a pot, two dishes and a plate and half a dozen of spoons. ITEM, I give unto my loving wife all the rest of my moveable Estate during her life or widowhood. I say unto my loving wife, Ann Strickland excepting one cow and calf to my daughter, ELIZABETH STRICKLAND and leaving my wife and son JOSEPH STRICKLAND executors of this my last Will and Testament dated the 14th of July 1730.

The last will & Testament of Mathew Strickland
Testa for witness his mark
Mathew III Strickland
(his mark)
Arthur Taylor
Joseph (F) Strickland
his mark
Mathew Cooper.
At a court held for Isle of Wight County the 25th day of October 1730.
The last will and testament of Mathew Strickland deceased is presented in Court by Anne Strickland, executrix and being proved by the oathes of the wittnesses thereto is admitted to Record. Test. James Ingles, Clerk of the Court,...

(IOW Co., VA WB III Pg 224)