Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Susannah Burgess Bracewell and the Riggs Connection

Research of Carey Bracewell

Published in Braswell Branches, Vol. 8 No. 3, Summer 1999

Record of Wills, Deeds, Etc., Volume 1, 1662-1715, Pages 570-571
Matthew TOMLIN of the Lower Parish of Isle of Wight County to John JOHNSON of the same parish, “for a valuable consideration”, a 225-acres tract “commonly called Pigneck”, bounded by “Thomas HARRIS’s Corner Tree in the Head of a Branch by the Edge of a Pocosson . . . . Mary TURNER’s Corner Tree . . . to . . . the very Bottom of the Neck” Signed by Matthew TOMLIN and Mary (M) TOMLIN. Witnessed by John DAVIS and William RIVERS. Dated August 13, 1687.

Will and Deed Book I, Volume 2, page 300

“The Nuncupative Will of John WHITAKER

The deposition of Mary COLLINS aged fifty yeares or thereabout beinge Sworne Sayeth that John WHITAKER, as I Conceive about fourteene dayes before his death did Say that the Child of Peter FIVEASH, for which he stood godfather should have the one halfe of his Estate the other halfe of his Estate to be devided betwixt those that did looke after him in his sicknesses: the other halfe of the halfe to bury him.

Sworn to in open Court

Mary \\\ COLLINS
Jan’ry the 9th 1689 Test: her marke
John PITT Cl Cur

The deposition of James BRIGGS aged twenty-one yeares or thereabout beinge Sworne sayeth that what is before Expressed by Mary COLLINGS: is true: but the tyme before his death he sayd the words was about fower months.

Sworne to in open Court held for

James BRIGGS
The Isle of Wight County Jan’ry the
9th 1689

Test John PITT Cl Cur

The deposition of John: RIGGS ages fifteene yeares the twenty third of ffebruary next beinge Sworne sayeth that what is before declared by Mrs Mary COLLINGS is true.

Sworne to in open court held for

John (mark) RIGGS
the Isle of Wight County Jan’r the 9th
Test John PITT ClCur.”

Will and Deed Book I, Volume 2, Page 323
Richard TOWLE
In the name of God Amen I Rich’d TOWLE of the Isle of Wight County being very sicke & weake, but thanks be to almighty God of Sound & perfect memory doe make & ordaine This my last will & Testam’t first I give my soule to God my maker in sure & certain hope thro the merrits of Jesus Christ my Redeemer the forgivenesse of all my sins & my body to the earth from whence it Came, and as for my worldly good I give as followeth. Impris. I give & bequeath unto my three youngest children of Susanna BRASWELL, Richard, William and Elizabeth BRASWELL all my whole & sole estate to be equally divided between them & to be possessed of their Parte as they Shall attain to the age of seaventeen yeares of age. Item I do request & appointe my loving friend John RIGGS my Exor’r in trust to see that the estate soe given by me to the aforesaid children be duly & truly delivered to them at the yeares above exprest, & y’t he see my debts & funeral charges payd, soe revoking all former Wills I have hereunto sett my hand & seale this 5th day of 9’ber 1692.

Signed sealed & delivered in

Presence of us

his

Richard (T) TOWLE
Mark


Tho: MOORE
Rob’t (R) HORNER
Sarah (E) WAKEFIELD
Y’r marke

ffebr: ye 9th 1692 proved in Courte by ye oaths of Tho: MOORE & Sarah WAKEFIELD to be ye last will & Testam’t of Rich’d TOWLE & a probate granted ye Exor’ex.

Test: Hugh DAVIS Cl.”

Note: Mary Collins was Susannah Burgess Bracewell's mother