Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cain, William, Edge. Co., NC 1757



In the name of God Amen the 13 day of August 1757 I William Cane of Edgecombe County and Province of North Carolina being of Sound & Perfect ___ thanks be given unto God therefore Calling in Mind the Mortality of my ___ and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to Die Do make & ordain this my last will & Testament that is to say principally & first of all I give & Recommend my Soul into the Hands of God that gave it and for my Body I Recoment it to the Earth to be Buried in a Christian Decent Manner at the Discretion of my Exrs nothing Doubting but at the general Resurection I Shall Receive the Same again by the Mighty Power and as touching my wordly goods I give & Bequeath and Dispose of the same in manner following I give & Bequeath unto my beloved son [crumbled away] Cane all my Cattle on the South Side of New [crumbled away] I give & Bequeath unto my living son a [crumbled away] Cane my Plantation whereon I now live [crumbled] & half the Land Belonging with Tract W [crumbled] at Marriage of his mother and one [crumbled] bed & one Pott and one gray mare and [crumbled] years old to have & his heirs or afsigns forever. I give & Bequeath to my [crumbled] son William Cane the other half of the _________ of Land whereon I now live to him(?) & his heirs or afsigns forever. The Remainder Part of my Estate be it of ___ my Desire is my wife may have it dureing her Life and what Remains of it at her Death may be equally Divided between my Loving children not before mentioned and I constitute make & ordain my loving wife Sarah Cane & Edward Moore Exors of this my Last will & Testament & I do ___ utterly Disallow Revoke & Disannull all & every other former Testament wills & Legacies Register & Exors (?) by me in any ways before this named will & Bequeath Ratifying and confirming this & no other to be my Last will & Testament in witnefs whereof I have hereunto Sett my hand & Seal the day and year above written


Signed Sealed Published & Pronounced by the Sd William /s/ William Cane Cane as his Last will and Testament William Ricks Thomas Whitfield Jacob Barnes Edgecombe (June Court County ) The within will was in open court .. by the .. therein named and prove & by the oath of William Ricks & Thos. Whitfield two of ....... Sarah Cain qualified as an Executrix which is ordered to be certified and the will to be recorded. Test. Saml Wall C Clerk

(Book Cain)

NOTE: Sarah Cain is believed to be the daughter of James Braswell.

See James Braswell's will here:

James Braswell Will Edgecombe Co., NC 1760


This deed seems to reveal 2 sons of William Cain Jr. & Sarah Braswell:


[29 Oct 1767] Archibald (his X mark) Cain of Edgecombe Co. to Benjamin Arrington of same; for Ð60 a tract of 150 acres on the bank of Maple Creek, which land was bequeathed to said Archibald Cain by his father, William Cain. Wits: Dun. Lamon; Elisha Cain. (Edgecombe Co., NC DB C Pg 545)


Documented Corrections Welcome