Friday, October 22, 2010

Brittain Alford Sr, Pike Co., GA 1848

Georgia)
Pike County)
In the name of God Amen. I Brittain Alford Senr. of the County and state aforesaid being of sound mind and disposing memory do hereby constitute ordain and appoint this to be my last will and Testament. Item 1st It is my will and desire that my body be buried in a decent and Christian like manner and suitableto my circumstances. Item 2nd I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Bathsheba Alford for and during the time of her natural life or widowhood all the land attached to these premises that I at present occupy together with any three negro slaves and their increase that I may die possessed of. that the then Said Bathsehba may choose. Also any part or all the farming utensils stock of all kinds including horses, oxen & household and kitchen furniture and provisions also my road waggon and harness, Barouche and harness and oxcart. Item 3rd It is my will and desire that at the death or intermarriage of my wife Barthsheba all the above property given and bequeathed to her as aforesaid be taken by my Executors whom I may hereafter appoint and divide among all my heirs according to this my last will and Testament. Item 4th I give and bequeath to my children Thomas, (?Lpirc), Betsy Ann, Missey, Jefferson, Jourdan, Dicey, Nancy and Brittain an equal portion of this division of all property that I may die _____ and possessed of. Item 5th I will that this distributive share of each of my daughters Betsy Ann, Missey, Dicey, and Nancy shall belong to them and the heirs of their bodies and not subject to the debts of their present or any future husband. Item 6th It is my will and desire that my Executors cause to be divided by their disinterested presence the residence of my negro slaves after my wife Barthsheba shall have made her choice as aforesaid then persons appointed by my executors for that purpose shall value out lot off said slaves into parcels as equal as possible to be drawn for by all my children the said lots to be made equal by those drawing lots of greater value paying to those who draw lots of less value. Item 7th It is my will and desire that my Executors make an equal distribution of all my many notes and accounts that I may died possessed of among all my children. Item 8th I hereby constitute, ordain and appoint my sons Thomas Alford and Jefferson Alford my executors to execute this my last will and Testament. Witness my hand and seal this Sixth day of December One Thousand Eight Hundred and Forty Eight.
Witnesses
Signed in presence of ) his
George (?Prothors) Brittain X Alford (seal)
his mark
Isaac X Kersay)
mark )
A. J. McAfee)


(Pike Co., GA Bk C 36-37)


NOTE: Barsheba "Betsy" Brassel & Briton Alford were married on the 19th of March 1805 in Greene County Georgia. (Georgia Marriages) Barsheba is the daughter of Britton Brassell & LaDicey Davis.