Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Davis, Christopher, Will Anson Co., NC 1785

In the name of God Amen. I, Christopher Davis being weak in body but perfect in mind and memory do make and ordain this to be my last will and testament. First of all I recommend my soul to God who gave it to me and also my body to the grave to be buried in a decent and Christian like manner and as to my worldly goods wherewith it has pleased God to bless me, I dispose of them as follows:

First of all I give and bequeath to my loving son, Arthur Davis, fifty head of hogs all my proper mark and a twenty five pound horse creature which Captain Patt Bogan owed me. I also give and bequeath to my loving son, Thomas Davis, a negro woman named Het and also a mare and colt which is called his and also a acow and heifer which I bought of Joseph White and also one rifle gun which is called his. I also give and bequeath to my loving daughter, Sarah Benton, five pounds to be raised out of my estate. I also give and bequeath to my loving daughter, Mary Baker, five pounds to be raised out of my estate. I also give and bequeath to my loving daughter, Deuy Brazzill, five pounds to be raised out of my estate. I also give and bequeath the plantation whereon I now live to my loving son, John Davis, also a cow and calf and a feather bed and furniture and a rifle gun and also the first child the negro woman named Het that I give to my son Thomas. I also give and bequeath to my loving son, Isham, a negro boy named Jack and also a cow and calf my proper mark and also one sorrel horse with a blaze face. I also give and bequeath to my loving son, John Davis, one mare and saddle the mare called an eagle mare. I also give and bequeath to my loving son, Lewis Davis, two hundred acres of land lying on Little Brown Creek which I bought of Roland Williams and also one negro woman named Mary Ann. After my wife's death also a cow and yearling and also one bay mare. I also give and bequeath to my loving daughter, Elizabeth Davis, Thirty pounds to be raised out of my estate and one cow and calf my proper mark and a feather bed and furniture and suite of cloths. I also give and bequeath to my loving wife, Mary Davis, all the rest of my movable estate and after her death to be equally divided among my youngest children, Lewis Davis, John Davis, and Elizabeth Davis and I also make and ordain Mr. Joseph White to be my hole and sole executor where I have hereunto set my hand and seal this fifth day of November in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty five.

Signed, Sealed and Delivered in the Presence of Wm. Boggan, Mary Prisler, Joseph White

The suite of cloths to Elizabeth Davis enterlined befored signed.

Christopher (his X mark) Davis


NOTE: "Deuy" Brazill married Britton Brassell
whose descendants fall within the S/H DNA group.

Related Link: Britain, Benjamin & Nathan Braswell