Friday, February 22, 2008

* Hale, Hosea, Clarke Co., GA 1838



In the name of God Amen, I Hosea Hale of the County of Clarke and State of Georgia, being of sound mind and full health, but recollecting the certainty of death, do make this my last will and testament. I commend my soul to God who gave it and my body to the dust from whence it came. To be buried in a decent manner. ITEM 1st: I wish out of my property all my just debts be paid in the first place. ITEM 2nd: For the love and affection I have for my beloved wife, Druscilla, I give her a Negro child, a boy in his fifth year by the name of Jefferson, on bed and sted(sic) and one stand of bed curtains, four coverlets, pillows, seven sheets, three quilts, a side saddle and one spinning wheel at her own disposal and to do with as she thinks best. ITEM 3rd: I give to my beloved son, James Hale, fifty dollars to be paid out of my estate. ITEM 4th: I wish the balance of my estate both real and personal equally divided between my wife Druscilla and children Lucy Hale, John Hale, Patsey Burgess, William Hale, James Hale and Benjamin Hale. It is my wish if they can agree not to sell any part. If no let all be sold and divide the proceeds as their own right and property. ITEM 5th: My son, Jesse Hale, having left this state several years past, and I do not know whether he is living or not, I consider that I have done for him his portion. It is my wishes and intentions that no part of my estate should be given him or his heirs. ITEM 6th: I appoint Thomas E. Williamson and John H. Lowe my Executors of this my last will and testament revoking all others. Given under my hand and seal this 22nd Nov 1838.
Signed sealed and delivered in the presence of

James B. Davenport .....................................Hosea Hale
Joseph Braswell
Thomas E. Williamson



(Recorded 9 Jan. 1839 Clarke Co., GA, WB B pg. 201-202. From Carlton D. Lee)