Thursday, February 28, 2008

* Pitts, John, Chatham Co., NC 1780



In the name of God, Amen.
I, John Pitts Senr. of Chatham County and State of North Carolina, being very sick in body but of perfect mind and memory thanks be to God calling into mind the mortality of body and knowning that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and ordain this my last will and testament, that is to say principally and first of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of almighty God that gave it and my body I recommend to the earth to be buried in a decent manner nothing doubting but at the general resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God and as touching what wordly estate wherewith it has blessed God to bless me in this life give demise and dispose of the same in the following manner, first I give and bequeath to my dearly beloved son John Pitts Junr. six hundred acres of land lying in Chatham County on the waters of Whitoak, likewise my gray horse called Bucky, likewise my Negro man named Jos. I give and bequeath to my beloved son Joseph Pitts six hundred acres of land including the plantation whereon I now live, also my Negro child called Bob, also a dark iron gray colt called __ __. I give to John Pitts, my son, my whip saw, also my gray mare called Pal, branded L and a flower deland. I gave and bequeath to my beloved daughter Mary Lear my Negro man named Oliver, also I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter Elizabeth Brassel my Negro wench named Lett. I give and bequeath to my daughter Peggy Mimes eleven head of cattle, also I give and bequeath to my beloved son Joseph Pitts my bed and furniture and bedstead the bed as I lie on, also what hogs belongs to me to be equally divided between my two sons John Pitts and Joseph Pitts, also what corn is on the plantation to be equally divided between the same two also I give and bequeath to my son John Pitts one bed and furniture after his mother's death, also I give and bequeath to my son Joseph Pitts my old white horse branded Vs on the shoulder, also seven head of sheep, also one saddle and bridle and shot gun. I give to my son Joseph Pitts also all the working tools and the remaining part of the household staff I leave and give to my son Joseph Pitts. I do hereby appoint my beloved son John Pitts and my true and trusty friend Elisha Cain executors of this my last will and testament in witness thereof I hereunto set my hand and seal this 29th day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty. Signed by the testator as his last will and testament in our presence and at his request have witnessed the same.

James Chrithan, John Pitts, Benjamin Willson (his mark) Mary Willson (her mark)

Note: Elizabeth was the wife of Valentine Braswell Jr. who was deceased in 1782, and they are the parents of daughters Edy who married Stephen or Jeptha Freeman, and Sedy who married Andrew Hartsfield.

Elisha Cain was the great grandson of Susannah Burgess Braswell, and the brother in law of Henry Braswell. Elisha & Henry both married daughters of Benjamin Blake.

Related Link:
Benjamin Blake Will Orange Co., NC 1783

Found at Barbee's Crossroads