Tuesday, August 21, 2012

1806 - Shadrach Braswell'sWill


In the name of God Amen. I Shadrick Braswell of the County of Wayne and State of North Carolina being in a low state of but sound mind and perfect memory do hereby affirm this to be my last will and testament it is my desire to lend and bequeath unto my belovedwife my plantation likewise a Negro man by the name of Jack and Patience Anaca Ester Sal. likewise Stocks of all kinds to her during her widowhood to give and discharge of as necesaty may require after her death or Wd. I give it all unto my beloved son StephenBraswell to him his heirs and assigns forever. likewise I do chose Jesse Braswell John Lane and Bryant Edmundson to be my whole & sole Ex-. Hereby I do affirm this to be my last will & Testament in pres--- of these Witnesses whereunto I have hereunto set my hand and seal March 26th 1806
John Edmundson}   Sha'd. Braswell {seal}
Test Cadar his X mark Sauls}
James Phillips}

Wayne County August Term 1820
Then was the within Will of Shadrach Braswell duly proved in open Court by the oath of William Edmondson by proving the hand writing of John Edmondson as a subscribing witness at the same time it appearing to the satisfaction of the Court that Kadar Sauls & James Phillips subscribing witnesses to the same lives out of the State John Lane and Bryan Lane Executors named in said will failing to appear & Qualifying to said will. It is therefore ordered that Stephen Braswell be appointed adm. with the will annexed untilBryant Edmundson appears & gives Bond and security - Stephen Braswell enters into Bond in the sum of One thousand dollars withJohn Williams and Etheldred Yelverton his securities
Teste L. Hooks Clk
August Co 1820