Tuesday, August 30, 2011

John Beal's Will, Southampton Co., VA 1777


In the Name of God Amen I John Beal ---- Luke and county of Southampton being sick & weak of ---- and disposing mind & memory thanks be given to ---- same do constitute and ordain this my last will ----- in form & manner following to wit I give and bequeath unto my son Drury and his heirs forever part of the tract (?) of land whereon I now live to be laid of by a line of markt trees beginning at a pine in the dividing line between me and Howell Whittington near the Bee tree & running across my land to a pine in the bent of the briery slash (?) being a corner tree in Dr Brownes land & then round by the various courses of the lower old lines to the beginning which land I estimate two hundred acres more or less also 1 Gun called his also one feather bed & furniture I give and bequeath unto my son Burwell and his heirs forever all the residue of my land that I am now possessed of also one feather bed & furniture I give unto my son John what Gold & silver I have --- me & what it lacks of a hundred pounds to be made out of my personal estate also one feather bed & furniture I leave the use of my plantation to my wife Liddia during her life or widowhood also one horse birdle & saddle one feather bed & furniture also 3 Iron potts & 1 frying pan also her choice of 2 Cows and calves also the whole of my pewter also one ho-- and pound of pork for her families use and 20 barrels of corn for the same purpose also her choice of 6 head of sheep also 2 sows & piggs also her Loom & Geir & her riding saddle also one large chest also a plough & Geir also a wheel of cards also 2 Axes & New (?) weeding hoes Also the rest of my estate my desire is that it be sold & equally divided between my three sons Drewry Burwell & John Lastly I do appoint my friend Joseph Johnson Executor & my wife Liddia Executrix of this my last will & testament In Witness whereof I have set my hand and affixd my seal this 13 day of September 1777
Signed Sealed published & John Beal (sl}
Declared as for my last
Will and testament in
the presence of us
Geo Gurley} At a court held for the county of Southampton the 12 Day
Thos his mark Edwards} of Feby 1778 This will was presented in court by Joseph
Jacob his mark Braswell} Warren (?) the executor therein named & proved by the oaths
George Gurley & Thomas Edwards the witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded And On the Motion of the said executor who made oath according to law certificate is granted him for obtaining a probat thereof in due form giving security whereupon -- SamKello --

(Southampton Co., VA W.B. III P.197)

NOTE: Clearly the executor therein named was Joseph Johnson and not Joseph Warren.