Sunday, August 28, 2011

Richard Vick, Southampton Co., VA, 1757


Richard Vick was an adjacent land owner to Richard Braswell d. 1745 and on March 12, 1746, purchased 100 acres from William & Joseph Braswell, sons of this Richard Braswell after his death.


In the Name of God Amen
I Richard Vick of the Parrish of Nottoway of County of Southampton being sick and weak of Body but of sound & disposing mind & memory Thanks be given to Almighty God for the same & do constitute & ordain this my last will & Testament in manner & form following Imprimis I give and bequeath unto my loving Son Josah Vick & his Heirs for Ever all the Land with the Plantations at this Time in my possession on the North side of Notoway River also one Hundred & Eighty Pounds Current Money of Virginia six Months Interest of which to be applied for the Schooling of my said son Josiah Vick Item I give & bequeath to my loving Daughter Patty Vick twenty Pounds current Money of Virginia to be delivered to my said Daughter Patty at the age of Sixteen Years Item I lend to my loving Wife Martha the labour of my negro Girl Hannah during her natural Life & after her deced I Give & Bequeath the said Negro Girl Hannah together with her Increase to my said son Josiah Vick & his Heirs for Ever & furthermore I lend the labour of the other Negros that shall be found after my Legacys are Paid to my said Wife Martha during her Life or widowhood & afterwards I Give & bequeath the said Negros to my said son Josiah Vick & his Heirs for Ever after my said Wifes Marriage or dec-- to be taken out of any Person or Persons possession what Ever for the Use & Behoof of my said son Josiah and the Remaining Part of all my Estate that Shall be found after my deces to be Equally Devided between my said wife Martha & son Josiah & my will & desire is that if my said son Josiah should die without Heir Lawfully begotten of his body then all the Estate given to my said son Josiah to be equally devided between my five sons Arthur Jacob Richd William & Joshua Lastly I do appoint my loving friends Jesse Brown & Albrighton Jones to be whole & sole Executor of this my last Will & Testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my Hand and affixt my Seal this 23d Day of July & in the Year of our Lord 1757
Signed Sealed published & } Rich.d his RV mark Vick Ls
Delivered in the presence of }
Joseph Newsom
Henry Johnson
Geo Gurley jr.

At a Court held for the County of Southampton the 10 Day of August 1758 (?)
This Will was presented in court by Albrighton Jones one of the Executors therein Named provd by the Oath of Joseph Newsom Henry Johnson & George Gurley the Witnesses thereto & Ordered to be Recorded and on the Motion of the said Executor made Oath according to Law Certificate was granted him for Obtaining a probate hereof in due form giving Security Whereupon VC.~
Copy Tesr R Kello --

(Southampton Co., VA WB 1 1747-1759 Pg 260-261)

1731 - June 11, Richard Vick, 375 acs. (N.L.), Is. of Wight Co; S. side of Nottoway Riv; adj William Seller & Richard Braswell; 11 Jun 1731, 15 Shill., & Imp of 5 pers: Maren Prater, John Colesell, Wm. Keay, Tho Fisher, Katherine Nickson. (Patent Book 14 Pg 155)


1746 - March 12, Joseph Brasswell and his wife Sarah & William Braswell and his wife Sarah sell their father's 100 acres to Richard Vick for 19 pounds. Joseph (mark) Brasswell, William (W) Brasswell. (IOW Co., VA DB 7 1744-1747 Part 2 Pg. 445-448)