Friday, March 23, 2012

1784 - Absalom Knott's Will

In the name of god amen I Absolom Knott of the County of Bertie & state of North Carolina being very sick and weak in body but of perfect mind and memory calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to dy do make and ordain this my last will - Testament in the following maner and form princepally and first of all Recommend my Soul into the hands of almighty God who gave it and my body I recommend to the earth to be buried in a christian like manner at the discretion of my Executors hereafter named. Nothing doubting but but (sic) that I shall see (?) the same again at the General resurection by the mighty power of god and Touching such worldly Estate herewith it hat pleased god to bless me in this life I give and dispose of the same in ------ loving manner after payment of all my just debts Item I give and bequeath unto my well beloved wife Elizabeth Knott one negroe boy by the name of Ca---- one Grey mare and two Colts one black horse and one bay horse and six head of cattle with all other my household furniture goods and Chattles unto me belonging of every kind whatsoever by her to be possesed during her natural Life and after deceased to descend to my beloved Daughter Clarissa Knott her heirs & assigns forever and in case of the death of my sd daughter Clarissa Knott without heirs it is my will and desire that al my above named property be equally divided between Luke Smithwick and Lanier Smithwick them and their heirs forever Item I constitute appoint and ordain James Knott and and my Wife John SmithwickElizabeth Knott Executors of this my Last will and testament and I do hereby utterly revoke & disanull all former wills Testaments & by me made declaring this and none other to be my Last will & Testament in Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 10th day of April in the year of our Lord 1784 and in the Eighth year of American independence Absalom Knott {seal}
Test James Knott
Willm his X mark Brassell

Bertie County August Term 1784

The Last will & Testament of Absalom Knott dec'd was prooved in open Court in due form of Law by the Oath of James Knott one of the subscribing Witnesses and ordered to be recorded
Shoens (?) Gray C-C

(Bertie Co., NC WB C Pg 81-82)