Wednesday, July 22, 2009

* Benjamin Braswell Nash Co., NC 1827




In the name of God Amen I BENJAMIN BRASWELL of the County of Nash and
State of North Carolina being in A low state of helth but blesed be God of perfect sound mind and memory Calling to mind the mortality of the body and knoing that it is appointed for all men to die do this 23thd day twenty third day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty Seven make publish and declare this my last will and testament in manner and form following to wit –

First Item { I lend to my beloved wife CLOY BRASWELL during her natural life the following Property towit one tract of land ling on the south side of tarriver Containing one hundred & eighty acres be the same more or less all within the bounds it being a tract of land that I purchased of WILLIAM BRASWELL adjoining the lands of SIMON WILLIAMS ALSTONs and others – Allso two negros by the name of BRISTER and AMKEY two horses of her own Choice fore Cows and Calves two feather beds and furniture all the hogs on the south side of the River belong to the said tract of land – Six head of Sheep of her choice a suffishant quanity of working tools to carry on her farm Allso one years Provision for her self and family & stock to be Judge of by my Exeters all of my setting chars two tables one chest & her riding saddle and a suffishant quanity of kitchen furniture for her are to be judge of my Exeters.

2nd Item { I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter MARY ROSS the following Property to wit five dollars in money to be paid her by my Exeters – to her and her heirs for ever.

3rd Item { I give to my beloved son OWEN D. BRASWELL five dollars to be paid him in money by my Exeters to him and his heirs forever.

4th Item { I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter MILLY MELTON five dollars to be Paid her in money by my Exeters to her and her heirs forever

5th Item { I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter BETSY FREEMAN five dollars to be Paid her by my Exeters in money to her and her heirs forever

6th Item } I give and bequeath to my beloved son WILLIAM BRASWELL five dollars to be Paid him likewise allso I lend to my said son WILLIAM BRASWELL A Certain tract or Parcel of land lying on the east side of turkey Creek cald the Passmore tract containing three hundred and seventy six acres & ½ be the same more or less all within the bounds the said WILLIAM is to have the use of said land untill his son NORFLET arives to the age of twenty-one then I gave the said land unto my said Grand Child NORFLET BRASWELL to him and his heirs forever.

7th Item } I give and bequeath unto my beloved son RUBEN BRASWELL the sum of five dollars to be Paid him in money by my Exeters to him and his heirs forever.

8th Item } I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter ELIZBETH THANEY STONE the sum of five dollars to be Paid her likewise to her and her heirs forever.

9th Item } I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter SUSAN LINCH BRASWELL & daughter ROEANEY & son DAWSON BRASWELL the valuation of the home tract of land containing eight hundred and eighty six acres more or less. My will is that the Said tract of land be leased or rented untill DAWSON arrives of lawfull age then the said tract of land to be sold on A Creadit of three years & when sold SUSAN & ROANEY draws the valuation of five hundred acres & DAWSON the balance of what the land is sold for the same way in the Renting or leasing my will is that when the land is sold that each one takes his own bond for the money arising from such sale.

Item} I give and bequeath unto my beloved daughter SUSAN LINCH BRASWELL one negro girl name SINDY one horse her Bridle & sadle one good feather bed and furniture three cows and Calves six head of Sheep

Item } I give and bequeath unto my belovd daughter ROEANEY BRASWELL one negro boy named SAM one horse her Bridle and Saddle one good feather bed and furniture three Cows and Calves Six head of Sheep

Item } I give and bequeath unto my beloved Son DAWSON BRASWELL two negros named ANDREW & POLDO his horse Bridle and Saddle one feather bed and furniture three Cows and Calves Six head of Sheep, My will and desire that if SUSAN ROEANEY or DAWSON should die not leaving a lawful begotten heir of their bodde living the property which I have
wild to them to decend to the surviving ones of three

Item } My will and desire is that all the Property or Parshneth of every description whatever real or personal that I have not disposed of in this will I leave to be sold by my Exetors on a twelve months Creadit and the money arising from such sale I dispose in the following manner viz to be equally divided among the whole of my Children ELIZABETH THANEY STONE Excepted her Part must Continue in the hands of DAWSON BRASWELL to be laid out for her support as she stands in need.

Item } the Property which I lent to my beloved wife the term of her life I dispose of in the following maner viz the whole to be sold at her death on A twelve Months Creadit and the money arising from such sale to be equally divided among all of my Children. ELIZABETH THANEY STONE Part Reserved as above named.

I do hereby appoint my worthy friends GIDEON BASS & ISAAC BASS Executers to this my last Will and testament Revoking all other wills here tofore by me maid ratifying and confirming this to be My last will and testament Signed Sealed and acknowledge in presance of us – Enter lined before assignd this the day and date above written

Test ---------- JP

THOMAS BRYANT )

SIMON WILLIAMS ) Jurat (signed) BENJAMIN BRASSEL (Seal)

State of North Carolina

Nash County Court Feby Term 1824

The foregoing last Will & Testament of BENJAMIN BRASWELL was duly proven in Open Court by the Oaths of THOMAS BRYANT, SIMON WILLIAMS Subscribing Witness thereto & on Motion ordered to be Recorded
Attest H. BLOUNT C.C.C.

And is Recorded H. BLOUNT (Seal) C.C.C.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

23 Jan 1827 - Feb Ct. 1827 BENJAMIN BRASWELL Wife CHLOE 180 A south side Tar R., purchased of WILLIAM BRASWELL, adjoining SIMON WILLIAMS. Sons: ORREN D. (ORRENDATUS); WILLIAM - land to hold until his son NORFLEET BRASWELL comes of age; REUBEN; DAWSON. Daughters: MARY BASS; BETSEY FREEMAN; MILLY MELTON; ELIZABETH THANEY STONE; SUSAN LINCH BRASWELL; ROEANY BRASWELL. 886 A. to DAWSON, SUSAN and ROEANY, to be rented until they come of age. Ex: GIDEON BASS, ISAAC BASS. Wit: THOMAS BRYANT, SIMON WILLIAMS. (Abstracts of WB I Nash Co., NC 1778-1868 by Ruth Smith Williams and Margarette Glenn Griffin)



Pg. 160 Benjamin BRASWELL inventory of money on hand and notes by Gideon BASS, exr., May 14, 1827. Sale held March 5, 1827 with Cloa BRASWELL, William BRASWELL, Roeny BRASWELL, and Susan BRASWELL buyers. Feb. Term 1829. Account current with Gideon BASS and Isaac BASS. According to the will, they paid accounts to William BRASWELL, Bolen MELTON, William BASS, Elizabeth FREEMAN, E. Thomas STAVES (?), and Reuben BRASWELL, May Term 1829. (Abstracts of Early Records of Nash Co., NC 1777-1859 by Joseph W. Watson 1975)

Pg. 160 Chloe BRASWELL inventory and sale by Bolen MELTON, admr., Dec. 6, 1843. William BRASWELL and Roeny BRASWELL mentioned. Account current, Aug. Term 1845. (Abstracts of Early Records of Nash Co., NC 1777-1859 by Joseph W. Watson 1975)

Pg. 307 Dawson BRASWELL. Bond 1828 by Simon WILLIAMS, gdn. (Abstracts of Early Records of Nash Co., NC 1777-1859 by Joseph W. Watson 1975)

Benjamin is the grandson of John & Alice through their son William who was in the care of Richard Williams in 1744 at the age of 14.

Updated with a copy of entire will July 22, 2009