Tuesday, March 2, 2010

* Joseph Colson, Anson Co., NC, 1788


In the name of God Amen. I JOSEPH COLSON in the State of North Carolina & County of Anson being of sound Memory & mind Do make & ordain this my Last Will and Testament in Manner & form following that is To say first I will that all my debts & funeral charges be paid & discharged by my Executors herein After mentioned & as to my worldy Estate I give and Devise the same in Manner & form as followeth.

Item. I Lend unto my Loving Wife MARY COLSON During Her Life or the time she continues a widow the House & Plantation where I now live & the house furniture and stock of horses & cattil to raise the Children on also I lend her two negro women named FRANK & RACHEL.

Item. I give & bequeth unto my son JOSEPH COLSON one hundred & seventy & a half acres of Land on South East side of Brown Creek where he now lives also three negroes named PHIL & PHILLIS & ROSE & also four Cows & Calves & one Bed & furniture & Two mares & a two year old horse which he has now in his possession.

Item. I Give & bequeath unto my Daughter SUSANNAH one negro woman named LUCE & feather bed & furniture thereunto Belonging & one Cow & Calf.

Item. I Give & bequeath unto my son JOHN COLSON one fourth part of three Hundred & ten acres of Land being the Plantation whereon I now live the land is not to be Disposed of by my son JOHN untill my son THOMAS COLSON comes to the age of twenty one years also three negroes to my son JOHN named PRINCE & WILL & BOB one feather bed & furniture & one Mare.

Item. I Give & bequeath unto my daughter MARY COLSON one negro woman named SAL & one bed & furniture thereunto belong.

Item. I Give & bequeath unto my Daughter MARTHA one Mulatto Girl named MILLIE also one Feather bed & furniture thereunto belonging.

Item. I Give & bequeath unto my Daughter CHARITY one negro girl named CURBRA also one bed & furniture.

Item. I Give & bequeath unto my Daughter FREEBE one negro girl named HANNAH also one bed & furniture thereunto belonging.

Item. I Give unto my Daughter NILLE one negro girl named BETTIE also one feather bed & furniture.

Item. I Give & bequeath unto my son SANDERS COLSON one fourth part of three hundred & ten acres of Land being a part of the Plantation whereon I now Live & his part thereof not to be Disposed of untill my son THOMAS arrives to the age of twenty one years also two negroes named SEPHRA & RACHEL a negro named RACHEL is one of two Lint to My Wife During her Life or her Widowhood which is then at her Death or marriage to be the Property of my son SANDERS also one feather bed & furniture.

Item. I Give & bequeath unto my son JACOB COLSON one fourth part of three hundred & ten acres of Land being a part of the tract of Land whereon I live & his Part thereof not to be Dispose of until My son THOMAS arrives to the age of Twenty one years also two negros named CHARLES & CATE also one feather bed & furniture.

Item. I Give & bequeath unto my son THOMAS COLSON one fourth part of three hundred & ten acres being a part of the Tract of Land whereon I now Live also two negroes named GIP & DAVID also one Feather bed & furniture & as for the Rest & Residue of my Estate that is not mentioned herein at the Death of my Wife or the end of her widowhood to Equally Divided between my Children that is to say MARY & JOHN & MARTHA & CHARITY & FEREEBE & NILLIE & SANDERS & JACOB & THOMAS & should either of my Daughters be without lawfull Isue that & then their sigum to be Equally Divided amonst the survivers SUSANNAH Excepted & I do hereby appoint & ordain my beloved wife MARY COLSON Executrex & my son JOHN COLSON Executor to this my Last Will & Testament revoking all other Will or Wills hereunto made & in testamony hereof I have hereunto set my hand & affixid my seal this 8th day of July 1788.

his in presence of us.
JOSEPH (x) COLSON Seal

Wm THREADGILL, Jr mark
John RYLE
Wm HOWTILL Jr



Related Links:

Charity (Braswell?) & James Muse Jr

An interesting court case