Wednesday, May 23, 2012

1789 - Joshua Pierce's Will

In The Name of God, Amen, The 6th day of May 1789 I, Joshua Pierce of the County of Nash and State of North Carolina being sick and weak in Body of a perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God for his mercy and calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to dye. Do make and ordain this my last will and testament as follows, principally and first of all I recomend my soul into the hands of God that gave it and as to my body I recomend to the earth to be buried in a christian like and decent manner and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it hath pleased God to Bless me with I give, devise and dispose of the same in manner and form following. Item: I give and bequeath to Celia Braswell one cow and calf. Item: I give to Dinah Braswell one cow and calf. Item: I give to Peggy Buntin one cow and calf, also one feather bed and furniture, also one chest. Item: I give to my well beloved son Joshua Pierce one feather bed and furniture also one chest. Item: I lend the use of all the rest and remainder of my estate together with my land and all my household stuff, and moveables also my horses hogs and cattle to my dearly beloved wife Elizabeth Pierce during her natural life or widowhood. Item: I give to Jeremiah Buntin two cows and calves after the death of my wife. Item: After the death of my wife I give to my son Joshua Pierce all my land, cattle, horses and hogs and all my household stuff and moveables that I Lend tyhe use of to my dearly beloved wife during her natural life. Item: That I appoint and ordain William Buntin to be my hole and sole executor to this my last will, testament and I do hereby utterly disallow revoke and disanull all and every other former testaments wills and legacies before this time named, ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal, the day and year above written. 
Signed, sealed and delivered,   Joshua his X mark Pierce {Seal}
Thos Carter
Thomas Deans
John his X mark Sellers


Nash county  August court 1789
The within will was in open court duly proven by the oath of Thomas carter a subscribing witness thereto and on motion ordered to be recorded.  Attest. Wm Hall, C.C.
and is registered in obedience to the above order.  Attest: Wm Hall, C.C.


(Nash Co., NC DB ? Pg 53-54)


NOTE: Jacob Braswell Sr's daughter, Cloah, married a John Sellers.