Thursday, May 24, 2012

1855 - Mary Braswell's Will



State of North Carolina Nash County. In the name of God Amen. I Mary Braswell of the County and State aforesaid being of sound mind and disposing memory and considering the uncertainty of this my earthly existeance do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following to wit Item 1st, My will and desire is at my death all of my just debts be paid. Item 2. I give to my nephew William Braswell one bed and furniture, 1 beureau, I also give to Nicholas Braswell one bed furniture and one chest, I also give to Sally Ann Braswell one bed furniture and chest. Item 3 Lastly I give and bequeath to my said two nephews Nicholas and William Braswell and niece Sally Ann Braswell children of Jesse Braswell Sr the residue of my property of every discription both real and personal to be divided equally share and share alike with this request that they jointly furnish or cause to be furnished to my niece Eliza Braswell good and comfortable clothing during her life in the event that either of my nephews or niece should die without issue then this property to go to the survivors then or their lawful representatives. In testimony whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal this 7th day of March A.D. 1855. 
signed sealed and acknowledged in the presents of 
G.W. Wright}  Mary her X mark Braswell {Seal}
Willie Bunting}
T.B. Bunting}
State of North Carolina, Nash County.


I Mary Braswell of the county and State aforesaid being of sound mind but feeble in health do hereby add this codicil to be part of the within will made by me the 7th day of March 1855 as at that time there had not been a division of the negroes as to enable me to dispose of them by name as I now desire and wish I give and bequeath to William Braswell negro girl Clary I give and Bequeath to Nicholas Braswell Boy Peter I give and bequeath to Salley Ann Walker woman Abby and her child Amy to them and their heirs for ever as stated in the within will in testimony whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal this 3 day of May 1856 eighteen hundred and fifty six. 
in the presence of}  Mary her X mark Braswell {Seal}
T.W. Wright}
T.B. Bunting}


The within paper writing purporting to be the last will and testament of Mary Braswell and codicil attached thereto are offered for probate the former on the testimony of Thomas W Wright, Willie Bunting and T. B. Bunting and the latter on the testimony of the said Thomas W. Wright, and T B. Bunting and are duly proven and admitted to probate and are ordered to be recorded. And there being no executor named in said will and codicil Administrator with the will and codicil annexed is commited to Worrell P Walker who enters into bond of six thousand dollars with Thomas W. Wright and L.N.B. Battle sureties.
and is recorded, Attest W.T. Arrington C.C.C.
Attest W.T. Arrington, C.C.C.


(Nash Co., NC Probate Records 1735-1970 Wills 1776-1872 Vol. 01 Pg 551)  

NOTE: Mary is the daughter of Cooper Williams.