Monday, May 12, 2008

Edwards, John, Southampton Co., VA 1762



In the Name of God Amen. I JOHN EDWARDS of the Province of Virginia in Southampton County being sick and weak but of sound mind & disposing Memory thanks be to God for it Calling to mind the Great mortality & for the better setteling of my Temporal affairs do make & ordain this my last Will and Testament in manner and form Following

First I give my Soul to God who gave it me next my Body to the Ground to be Buried in a desent manner at the discretion of my Executors - - - - - - -

Item I give to my son JACOB three parts of my Estate & the other fourth part to JESSE BRASWELL - - - - - - -

Lastly I appoint THOMAS EDWARDS whole and sole Exer~ of this my last Will & Testament revoking all other Wills heretofore by me made.

his JOHN EDWARDS O (SEAL) mark

Signed Sealed & Acknowledged in the Presence of us )

WILLIAM (O his mark) EDWARDS

PATIENCE (her mark) EDWARDS

ANN (her mark) NEWSOM

At a Court held for the County of Southampton the 11 Day of March 1762

This Will was presented in Court by THOS. EDWARDS the executor therein named proved by the oaths of WILLIAM EDWARDS & PATIENCE EDWARDS two of the Witnesses thereto ordered to be Recorded and on the motion of the said executor who made oath according to Law certificate was granted him for obtaining a probat thereof giving security.

Kello CC


(Southampton Co., VA WB I Pg. 438)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An Inventory of the Estate of JOHN EDWARDS deced.

A Mare at (sign for pound) 7 3 Hoes & an ax 4 / (sign for pounds) 7 4

A Barrell of Cotton @ 3/ a parcel of Lumber at 2/ 0 5

A Bridle and Saddle at 12/6 3 Chairs & 2 Stools 2/ 14 6

1 Bedstead & Cord 1/6 2 Pots 1 pr Pot Hooks 1/3 2 6

a Wheal @ 1/ 6 a parcel of Pewter @ __ a Hammer @ 1/3 6 9

a Bed & Furniture @ 1 pound, a Bed & Quilt @ 1 pound 2

a parcel of Cloaths @ 15/ a plow Hoe @ 6/ 1 1

a Table and gun @ 1/8 a Tub & Piggin etc @ __ 5 8

a Collar Harnes etc 1/3 a Box & other Lumber @ 3/6 4 9

a shirt & Hock Buckel @ 3/6 a womans gown suits etc @ ___ 1 3 6

a parcel of Lumber at _/ a Bayonet etc @ 1/ 5

A Chest etc 7/6 a Wallet @ ___ Shoemakers Tools @ 2/6 10 8

8 Ducks @ 2/8 12 Poultry @ 3/ 5 8

10 / 5 bls Corn @ (pound sign) 3.10 3 10

_____________ 18 4

We the Subscribers being first sworn in Obedience to an Order of Court bearing Date March 11, 1762 have appraised in current money the Estate of JOHN EDWARDS Deced as above

GEO GURLEY Jur

JAMES STORY

WILLIAM THOMAS

At a Court held for the County of Southampton on the 13 Day of May 1762.

This inventory and appraisement of the Estate of JOHN EDWARDS Deced was returned & ordered to be recorded

Test

R. KELLO CC


(Southampton Co., VA WB I Pg. 478)



John Edwards account estate audited by Micajah Edwards, Henry Thomas and William Thomas. R. Jan 14, 1763 (Southampton Co., VA WB II Pg. 16)


Note: Jesse Braswell's descendants fall within the S/H DNA group.


Related Link:
Jesse Braswell Will Brunswick Co., VA 1827