Monday, May 12, 2008

Gurley, George, Southampton Co., VA 1768



In the name of God amen I George Gurley Sr of the County of Southampton in the Parish of St. Luke being of sound and disposing mind and memory thanks be given to almighty for the same and knowing that is appointed unto all men once to die and being possessed of estate real and personal --- dispose of the same in form and manner as following.

To wit: I give unto my loving wife one bed and furniture where we live. Item: I give unto my loving son George Gurley Jr my plantation. Item: I give unto my loving son John Gurley all my wearing cloathesltem: I give unto my loving daughter, Mary West the bed and furniture that went by the name of hers. Item: I give unto my loving daughter Fathey Sellers 4 - of current money. Item: I give unto grandson George Edwards my mare, bridle and saddle.

Lastly, my desire is that after my decd. my whole esteate that shall be left after payment of my debts -- to be equally divided between my son George Gurley Jr and Ann Edwards. I do also appoint my son George Gurley my whole executor of this my last will and testament. In witness whereof I do set my hand and seal this 12 August 1768.
his mark George G. Gurley


Witnesses William Thomas, Jesse Braswell, James Peding

At a court held for Southampton 10 January 1771 this will was presented in court by George Gurley Jr


(Southampton Co., VA WB II Pg. 362)


NOTE: Jesse Braswell's descendants fall within the S/H DNA group.