Friday, March 11, 2011

Benjamin Brasell, Bertie Co., NC 1762

In the Name of God Amen, the 20 Day of May in the year of our Lord Christ 1762 John Rutland of Bertie County in the Province of North Carolina being very Sick and Weak in Body but of perfect Mind and Memory thanks be Givin to Allmight God, Therefore Calling unto mind the Mortality of my Body and knowing that it is appointed for all men Once to die, do make and ordain this Last Will and Testament, that is to say Principally and first of all I give and recommend my Soull into the hands of God that Gave it and my Body I Recommend to the Earth to be Buried in a Decent Christian like Burial at the Discretion of my Executors hereinafter Named nothing Doubting but at the General Resurrection I shall Receive the same again by the Mighty Power of God and touching such Worldly Estate wherewith it hath Pleased God to Bless me in this Life I Give Devise and Dispose of the same in the following Manner and form

Imprimisis I give and Bequeath unto my beloved son Blake Rutland after my Wife Desase or day of Marrage the Plantation and Land belonging to it in Northamton Joying to Benjamin Brasell and Thomas Barfield Item I give & bequeath unto my well beloved son John Rutland the Plantation whereon I now live and the Land belonging to it

Item I give & bequeath unto my well beloved Son Watson Rutland and Readin Rutland the Land liing upon the lukrute (?) in Northampton Equally Divided between them according to the Desire of the Executors Item I give unto my well loved Daughter Millay Rutland my Negro Garl Filles her and her Increase Item I Give unto my well beloved Daughter Charty Rutland my Negro boy Cary Item I give unto my well beloved Daughter Renney a Negro Boy Called Hill.

Item I give unto my well beloved son Riddick Rutland my Negro Wench and 50 pound Virgina Money after is Mother Decease or Day of mariage if my son Riddick Rutland Doth sue for Fillis and Carey my will is to Cut him off with 5 Shillings and the Legersie to be Equally divided amonst the Rest of the Children Item I give to my well beloved son Riddick Rutland Snip Colt that She now Suckle

Item I Give to my well beloved Son John Rutland Ball the Sorrell Horse Bridle and Saddle Item I give to my Dearly beloved wife Drummer the Horse and the Mare I - - - During the Time of her natural Life or Day of marriage Item my will and desire is to sell as many hogs as will pay my Debts and pay my son Riddick Rutland with - - - - Money I have by me and the over plush of the hogs to my Dearly beloved wife During her natural life or day of Marriage Item I Give to my well beloved Daughter Milley Rutland 1 Feather Bed and Furniture Item I give to my well beloved Daughter Charty Rutland another Bed and Furnitude Item I give to my well beloved Daughter Renney Rutland another Bed and Furnitude when they come to age or day of Marrriage Item I give all the Rest to my Dearly beloved wife During the Time of her natural Life or day of Marriage

I likewise Constitute make & ordain James Rutland & William Rutland Sole Executors of this my last will & Testament & I do likewise hereby utterly disallow Every & Disallow Void I Disanoll all & Every other former Testaments Wills Leagacies bequests & Executors by me in any ways before Named Willed & bequeathed Ratifying & Confirming this & no other to be my Last Will and Testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto Sett my hand and Seall the Day and year above Written Signed Sealled and Declared by the said John Rutland as his Last Will & Testament In witness whereof he hath hereunto set his hand and seal in the Presents of us the Subscribers
Edward Callum Jurat
James Rutland John Rutland {seal}
William Rutland

(52, 53, 54)