Tuesday, March 29, 2011

John Dawson, Northampton Co., NC 1750

In the name of God, Amen. I, John Dawson, of the County of Northampton, in the Province of North Carolina, am in perfect health, and in sound and disposing mind and memory, and calling to mind the uncertainty of this transitory life, am willing to make my last will and testament in manner and form following, that is to say 1st, I bequeath my soul to Almighty God that gave it me, and my body to be buried at the discretion of my Executors, and after my just debts are paid, I give and bequeath the rest of my estate as follows, viz.:

Item. First and foremost my will and desire is that out of my store of goods and debts due to me, and what bold and silver I have by me, and my stock of cattle at Tar River, my wife's and my marriage contract may be made good, and the surplusage, if any, to be equally divided between my three small children, Charity Dawson, Elisabeth Dawson and John Dawson.


Item I give and bequeath unto my son, Henry Dawson, the plantation whereon I now live, and the land adjoining bounded thus. Beginning at the centre of the Crooked Meadow at Alexander Stevenson's line that divides his land and mine, so along the said Crooked Meadow round Mrs. Samonie's, otherwise William Burns, till it comes to the line that crosses the said meadow over in the Neck, called Braswell's Neck, the said land and plantation for three hundred acres, be it more or less, to him and his heirs forever. Also give to my said son, Henry Dawson, my land and plantation I bought of Maurice Moore, as by his deed to me will appear. Also my Island plantation and the land thereto belonging, for six hundred and forty acres, as by the West's deeds to me, and their patent will appear.
Also one hundred acres of land in Bertie County, which I bought of John Wilson. All my land on Tar River, near Conetoe, it being in three parcles and in the whole about seven hundred (700) acres, as by patent and two deed will appear. All the above said lands I give to my son, Henry Dawson, to him and his heirs forever. Also I give to my son, Henry, my young horse called Exum, and Maurice Moore's debt to me by bond.

Item I give unto my son, John Dawson, my plantation whereon I now live, with all the land on the plantation side of the Crooked Meadow (viz.) that I bought of John Revitt and Richard Braswell; also one hundred and forty acres on the north side Bridges Creek, joining Mr. George Pollock's land, as per Earl of Granville deed will appear, and my land on Urahaw Swamp, as by Matthew Williams' deed to me will appear, and my land on Potecasi Creek, as per patent. All and every part of the aforesaid lands and all the appurtenances and improvements of any kind to the same or to any part thereof anywise belonging to him, the said John Dawson, and his heirs forever. Also my will and desire is that my loving Wife, Charity Dawson, live on my manor plantation during her natural life and keep the house and other valuable improvements in reasonable repair. Also I give to my son John, my Clock and Chest upon a Chest with drawers, and two oval tables, and one Chamber table which stands in the Room, called the Green Room, and my Cargo Looking Glass, which stands in the Hall.

Item I give all my right, title and interest to a girl called Dinah, she and her increase forever to my daughter, Elisabeth Dawson.


Item I give to my loving Wife, Charity Dawson, the negro wench, called Fanny, which was given to her by her deceased father. My Will and desire is that my said Wife have a negro boy, named Rumford, if she will accept of him in lieu of a negro fellow called Peter, belonging to her Estate, which she joined in the sale for forty-five pounds Virginia money. If she will not accept of the said boy for that fellow, my further Will and desire is, the said boy be sold to make out the sum of forty-five pounds Virginia money, for which the said fellow was sold for.

Item I give to my son, Henry Dawson, the following negroes: Tim, York, Glascow, and Sam, at Island, and Mingo, Jacob, George, Jim, Phillis, the daughter of Leah, Young Larry and Ben, to him, the said Henry, and his heirs forever.

Item I give and bequeath all the rest of my negroes and their future increase, to my three young children, Charity Dawson, Elizabeth Dawson and John Dawson, to them and their heirs forever, to be equally divided when the first of the three said children shall arrive to lawful age or be married, and the profits of their labor, if any, to be equally divided likewise.

Item I give and bequeath to my Grand-daughters, Martha Kinchen, Elizabeth Kinchen, Mary Kinchen and Temperance Kinchen, Thirty pounds Virginia money each, to be paid out of my Estate, when they shall arrive at lawful age or be married.

Item I give and bequeath to my two Grand-sons, John Kinchen and William Kinchen, Ten shillings Virginia money each.

Item I give all the residue of my Estate, after the legacies are paid, and my Wife's contract is complied with, to my three children, Charity Dawson, Elisabeth Dawson and John Dawson, to them and their heirs forever.

Item I give and bequeath unto my loving Wife, Charity Dawson, my riding chair and harness, and also do nominate and appoint my said loving wife, Charity Dawson, Executrix of this my will, and this I own to be my last will and testament, revoking and disallowing all former or other will or wills by me made. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and fixed my seal this -- day of Nov. One thousand and fifty
John Dawson {Seal}
Signed, sealed and delivered
in presence of Samuel Cotton, Wm Stevenson, James Josey
Northampton County, February Court, 1762.

The preceding will of Col. John Dawson, Deceased, was exhibited in open court and proved on the oath of James Josey, one of the Witnesses thereto subscribing. At the same time, Charity Dawson, the Executrix therein named, qualified lawfully to execute the same, which on motion was ordered to be certified and recorded. Test. J. Edwards. Clerk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1736 - June 4, Richard Brasswell, Jun. of Edgecombe Precinct to John Dawson. 10 pounds for 76 acres On Oura Meadows adjacent George Stephenson and "his father's corner tree." Wit: William Willson, jurat, Ezekial Fullard. May Court 1737. John Wynns D.C./C. (Bertie Co., NC DB E Pg 124)