Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Numan, John, Will IOW Co., VA 1695


Contributed by Carey Bracewell

In the Name of God Amen, I JOHN NUMAN of ye Isle of Wight County in Virginia . . . doe make and ordain this my Last Will and testamt . . .

I doe give . . . unto my dean and Lo: Wife RUTH NUMAN all my wearing App[arell both linnen & woolen and one third of all my personal Estate

Item I give . . . . unto my Son THOMAS all my Land and plantation commonly Called and known by ye name of Cookes Quarter, adjoyening to JNO SCREW's plantation, being accounted one hundred twenty five Acres More or Less as itt bounded, and to ye heair:ex of his body Lawfully begotten, and in default of such heir:ex to my Daughter ISSABELLA and her heirs Lawfully begotten for Ever

Item I give and bequeath unto my Daughter ISSABELLA one third pt. of al my prsonnal Estate

Item I give & bequeath unto Wm HOLDIN one young Cow with Calfe and one young Sow wth pigg when he is free

Item I constitute and apoint my dear & lo: Wife RUTH Sole Executx of this my Last Will & Testam: Revokeing all former Will or Wills by me made in Wittnesse heereof I have heerunto Sett my hand and fixed my Seale this 11th day of December 1695.

Sign'd Seal'd & Deliver'd JNo NEWMAN (signed and sealle)
in presence of us

JA: DAY

THO: HEBBY

ANN R BRASSELL

RECORD OF WILLS, DEEDS, ETC. VOL. 2, 1661-1719, PAGE 368


Ann is the daughter of Susannah Burgess Braswell.

Her husband John Riggs Sr. is identified as "loving friend" and executor in Richard Towle's will, which suggests that Ann was an older child of Richard Towle.