Thursday, December 20, 2007

Beckwith, Amos, Will Nash Co., NC 1818



In the name of God, Amen. I Amos Beckwith of the County of Nash, State of North Carolina, being weak of body but sound mind and memory and understanding considering the certainty of death and the uncertainty of the time thereof and being desirous to settle my worldly affairs in such manner that I may be prepared to die when it please God to call me hence do make and publish and declare this my last Will and Testament in manner following, viz:
First: I lend to my beloved wife all the land I now possess during her lifetime and at the expiration thereof to go to my son Dempsey Beckwith and his heirs forever.

Item: I gave to son Henry Beckwith one dollar.

Item: I gave to my daughter Polley Braswell, one dollar.

Item: I gaveto my daughter Mourning Sneed, one dollar.

Item: I gave to my son Thomas Beckwith, one dollar.

Item: I gave to my son Willis Beckwith, one dollar.

Item: I gave to my son Sion Beckwith, one dollar.

Item: I gave to my daughter Rhoda Hunt, one dollar.

Item: I gave to my beloved wife Rhoda Beckwith, one bed and furniture to her and her heirs forever. Also my wil and desire is for my son Dempsey Beckwith to have all my stock of horses, cattle, hogs and sheep after paying my just debts to him and his heirs forever.

Item: I also gave to my beloved wife Rodah Beckwith and my son Dempsey Beckwith all my household and kitchen furniture to them and their heirs forever. And lastly I nominate and appoint my son Dempsey Beckwith and my friend Philander Tisdale my executors of this my last Will and Testament.

Witness my hand and seal this 20th day of May 1818, acknowledged to be his last Will and testament in the presence of L. F. Ellen, Henry Edwards. Amos Beckwith
(Seal).

Nash County, August Session 1818: The foregoing Will was exhibited in open court for probate and proven by the oath Ld. F. Ellen and Henry Edwards two subscribing witnesses thereto and on motion ordered to be recorded. attest, Wm. Hall, CC. And is registered in obedience to the above order.

Attest,
Wm. Hall. CC.