Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bailey, Jonathan, Edge. Co., NC 1851



In the name of God Amen. I Jonathan BAILEY of the County of Edgecombe and State of North Carolina do this 6th day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty One, being of sound disposing mind and memory do make and publish this my last will and testament in the form and manner following.

1st. I give and bequeath unto my daughter, LUCY BRASWELL, one Negro boy by the name of JACOB to her and her heirs forever.

2nd I give and bequeath unto the heirs of my daughter, POLLY TAYLOR, one Negro girl by the name of AMY

3rd I lend unto my daughter, SALLY JORDAN, the land whereon she now lives and after her death to be equally divided betwixt her children. I also lend unto my daughter, SALLY JORDAN, one Negro girl named SUAKY, and after her death the said SUAKY with all her increas to be divided betwixt the children of the said SALLY JORDAN.

4th I lend unto my daughter, NANCY RUFFIN, the land whereon she now lives during her natural life and after her death to be equally divided betwixt her children. Also I lend unto NANCY RUFFIN one Negor girl named ELLEN and after her death the said Negro girl ELLEN with all her increased to be equally divided betwixt the heirs of the said NANCY RUFFIN.

5th I give unto the heirs of my son, BERY BAILEY, lawfully begotten of his body all my land lying on the north side of the road adjoining the land of MATHEW WHITEHEAD, JEREMIAH BATTS, and others. I also give unto the heirs of BERY BAILEY as above one negro boy named LEWIS.

6th I give unto my grandchildren, DAVID LAWRENCE WILLIAMS and ELIZABETH WILLIAMS one Negro gril named MARY and one hundred and twenty dollars in cash to be equally divided betwixt them, but should either of them die without having a lawful heir, th living one to have the other spart, and should both die the said property to return to the Baily family.

7th I lend unto my daughter, REBECCA MAY, one Negro gril named ESTHER, during her natural life, together with her increase and after her death to be equally divided betwixt the children of the said REBECCA MAY lawfully begotten of her body. I also give unto my daughter, REBECCA MAY, one hundred and twenty dollars in cash.

8th I give unto my son, BEST BAILEY all my tract of land whereon I now live also one Negro boy by the name of Peter.

9th I lend unto my daughter, MARTHA AMASON, one Negro woman named MARIAH, one Negro girl named BETTY, one Negro child named Chaney, one Negro gril named PATIENCE, and one girl named CHERRY together with all their increase and I further give the said MARTHA AMASON, the right to dispose of any part of said Negroes as she may think proper.

10th My will and desire is that all my property which is not disposed of above be sold and all my just debts be paid and the balance remaining to be queally divided betwixt my children as follows: LUCY BRASWELL, POLLY TAYLOR, SALLY JORDAN, NANCY RUFFIN, DILLY'S two children, viz DAVID LAWRENCE AND ELIZABETH, being Bailey heirs, REBECCA MAY and NANCY RUFFIN.

11th I hereby appoint my son, BERT BAILEY, THOMAS AMASON, and JEREMIAH BATTS Executors to this my last will and testament.
Signed sealed and acknowledged in presence of:

D. Williams
Thomas Fly Jonathan Bailey


Posted @ rootsweb by Virginia Crilley with commentary:

Nancy Ruffin (Jonathan Bailey's daughter) is the wife of GRAY RUFFIN, son of Samuel and Celia Braswell Ruffin, s/o Nathaniel and Hannah Ruffin.