Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kilbee, Christopher, VA & NC 1741



In the name of God Amen I Christopher Kilbee of Nottoway Parish in the County of Isle of Wight being sick and weak of Body but Blessed be God of perfect sence and memory thanks be to Almighty God, do make constitute and Oppoint this Wrighting to be my last will and Testament in form and manner as followeth VIZ:

Item, I give and bequeath to my Son Epafroditus the plantation I now live on & the Lower part of my Land beginning at an oak at the Old Indian fishing place thence up the three Creeks to a meadow thence up the said meadow to a small branch thence up the sd. branch to ye Indian Line I say I give ye said land to him and his heirs.

Item, I give and bequeath to my son Xpher the Upper part of the said land joyning Joshua Lewis and he to abide by the above mentioned bounds I say I give the said land to him and his heirs; My desire is that if ever any difference should arise betwean my Son Epaproditus and my son Xpher as cause Either of them to sell the land that I have bequeathed to them, that he that first sells the other brother may have fifty pounds of the value of the sd land, and I do appoint my trusty friends Joshua Lewis and John Fort to Lay of the said Land as above mentioned.

Item, I give and Bequeath to my Daughter Sarah my Negroe wench cald Judy and her increase except the two first children, she shall have that liveth and one of them I bequeath to my Daughter Elisabeth and the other to my daughter Frances; the first that shall live to my daughter Elisabeth and the other that shall live to my daughter Frances. I say I give the several negros to them and their heirs; and Likewise I give to my daughter Elisabeth two cows & calves & two ewes & lambs and to my daughter Frances two cows and calves and two Ewes and lambs at age of eighteen or married.

Item, I give and bequeath to my son Xpher my negroe boy called Basone, I say I give the sd negroe to him and his heirs.

Item, I give and bequeath my negroe fellow cald Jamy to my Loving wife during her widowhood and afterward to return to my Son Epafroditus I say I give the said negroe to my Son and his heirs.

Item, My will will and desire is that after my Debts and Funeral Charges are defraid that the Residue of my Estate may be Equally Divided Between my Wife and five children viz Epafroditus, Xpher, Elizth, Sarah, Frances; and I do constitute and appoint Maj. Jospeh Gray & Wm. Thomas Jarell Exors. of this my Last will & testament in Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this 9th day of Feb 1741

Witnessed by John (signed) Brassell and Thomas (T) Westbrook, proved May 1752 in Northampton County, NC by both the witnesses thereto , the executors therein named, having by writing under hands, refused to act as such; and Katherine Kilby, widow and relict of the Testator, appearing in court, assigned her right of administration to her son Epaphroditus, to whom administration is granted; which is ordered to be certified.