Saturday, June 20, 2009

Isaac Braswell, Edgecombe Co., NC 1870

April 23, 1870

In the name of God, Amen I Isaac Braswell of Edgecombe Co. .. being of sound mind and disposing memory ; to my beloved wife, Elizabeth Braswell, 200 acres of land known as the dower of Bithel Braswell widow and at her death to be equally divided between my children, to wit? Polly, Francis, George, Crissy, Luginah, Jesse, Milly and upon the death of either of the above children without a child to be equally divided between the others;

Item
beloved wife, Elizabeth Braswell years provisions, one horse her choice one cow and calf 1 ox cart and wheels and furniture utensils sufficient for one horse farm ten head of hogs her choice and at her death to be equally divided between the aforesaid children to wit? Polly, Francis, George, Cressey, Luginah, Jesse and Milly and upon the death of any of them without a child to be equally divided among the others;

Item to my daughter Elizabeth
Edwards the tract of land whereon she now lives known as the marshfield adjoining John C. Robbins, Robert B. Braswell & beginning at an ash Robert Braswells corner then nearly north to a branch where the fence now crosses then up the branch to near the head then north a blazed line to the new path then west along the new path to Jesse Dixon line then south along Jesse Dixons line to his and Robbins corner then along Robbins line south to Robert Braswells corner then east along Braswells line to a small white oak then north Braswells line to an ash the beginning containing 75 acres;

Item-
to my beloved son Asberry Braswell the tract of land whereon he now lives known as a part of the Gray land adjoining Polly Calhoun and John Daws beginning at Polly Calhouns corner Cokey Swamp then up the canal to the (gray) Branch then up the gray branch to the new fence then north to Polly Calhouns line containing 65 acres;

Item- to my daughter Pennetta Braswell
Proctor the tract of land whereon she now lives known as my old place beginning at the road bridge then down the canal to John Daws corner then nearly sough along John Daws line to his land then nearly west along the path to the place marked by Levi Lancaster for a new road then to the road then down the road to the beginning containing 75 acres;

Item- to my daughter
Nancy Price one half of a tract of land known as the Taylor Tract containing 100 acres, her part adjoining John Daws, R.B. Braswell and my Ruffin Tract:

Item- I loan to my daughter Julia Braswell the other half of my Taylor Tract
of land which is 50 acres for her use and benefit during her natural life and at her death to be equally divided between Nancy Prices children, I also give to my daughter Julia Braswell the sum of $100 which is all I want her to have of my estate:

Item- I also give to my daughter Nancy Price the sum of
$100 which is all I want her to have of my estate;

Item- I give to my four
grandchildren, Anzalina Luper, Mauzauia Luper, Isaac G. Luper and Sally A. Luper one tract of land known as the Ruffin tract adjoining the lands of R.B. Braswell, Kinchen Edwards and others, provided that if any of them should died without children their part shall go to them that has children, I also give the above named four children $100 to be equally divided between them;

Item- the balance of my land not otherwise disposed of I give to my seven
children, to wit: Polly, Francis, George, Crissey, Lugenah, Jesse & Milly to be equally divided between them provided that if any of them should die without children their part shall go to them that has;

Item- I give to my son
Asberry Braswell one bed and furniture or $25 in money;

Item- I give to my
daughter Polly Braswell one bed and furniture or $25 in money;

Item- I give
to my daughter Francis Braswell one bed and furniture or $25 in money;

Item-
I give to my daughter Lugenah Braswell one bed and furniture or $25 in money;

Item- I give to my daughter Crissy Braswell one bed and furniture or $25 in
money;

Item- I give to my daughter Milly Ann Braswell one bed and furniture
or $25 in money;

Item- I give to my son George one bed and furniture or $25
in money;

Item- I give to my son Jesse one bed and furniture or $25 in
money;

Item- all my just debts to be paid out of my property not otherwise
disposed of and if any remainder to be equally divided between my children, Asberry Braswell, Pennetta Proctor, Elizabeth Edwards, Polly Braswell, Francis Braswell, George Braswell, Crissy Braswell, Lugenah Braswell, Jesse Braswell & Milly Braswell Braswell;

Item- I appoint my two friends Miller
John Proctor and Oran J. Proctor my executors, signed Isaac Braswell (IB), wit. B.B. Smith, L.B. Jackson (X).

LETTERS TESTAMENTARY dated 17 June 1873
state value of estate at $10,000 and that heirs are Elizabeth Braswell, his widow, his children, Asberry Braswell, John Braswell, Nancy (Price), (Pennetta) Proctor, Elizabeth Edwards, Frances Braswell, Polly Braswell, Lugenia Braswell, Cely Braswell, ( ) A. Braswell, George Braswell, Jesse Braswell, and his grandchildren, Lena Luper, Margena Luper, Thomas A. Luper, and Sally A. Luper.

(CTC)