Saturday, November 24, 2007

Howell, Matthew, Will IOW Co., VA 1719



Contributed by Carey Bracewell

In the Name of God Amen ye Eleventh day of January . . . I MATTHEW HOWELL . . . . do own this to be my Last Will & Testament . . . In the first place I do give ye use of my Negro man Harry & my Negro Girl Moll to my Wife During her Widow hood & at ye Day of her Marriage I do give ye Negro man to my Son . . . HOWELL & my Negro Girle to my Son JOSEPH HOWELL & ye first child yt ye Negro Girle brings yt lives to ye Child yt my Wife is now with Child with & I do give to my Wife Two Thousand poinds of pork yt is Due to me from JOHN GENT and one Thousand pound of pork yt is due to me from RICHD BRASWELL & five pound in Cash yt is Due to me from JNO EDWARDS & Three pounds yt is due to me in Cash from HENRY FLOWERS Junr & I do desire this pork & money be put to ye Use to purchase a plantatin for my Wife During her life & after her Decease to my Son THO: HOWELL and if he Die without heirs to fall to ye next heir & this bed I do Now ly upon and furniture belonging to it I do give to my Wife & ye Rest of my Whole Estate to be Equally Divided between my Wife & my Children & if my Wife Does Marry & Should Get a husband that Should be harsh & Unkind to my Children I do desire yt my father JOSH LANE Shall tak them in his Care to Look after & I do make my father JOSEPH LANE, Sener & JOSEPH LANE Junr and my Wife MARY HOWELL Execrs of my Whole Estate where unto I do Sett my hand yet Day & Year above Written.

Testis THOMAS JARRELL, ARNALE (A) PEW

MATHEW (H) HOWELL

Deeds, Wills, Great Book, Volume 2, Part I, 1715-1726, pages 26-17

[MATTHEW HOWELL's estate was inventoried by order of Isle of Wight Court dated April 25, 1720. The appraisers were THOMAS JARRELL, JOHN EDWARDS and ROBERT (NORSWORTHY?) The estate was evaluated at L 121-16-4. The first page---103---mentions 1000 pounds of pork. The inventory was returned and recorded September 25, 1721, at pages 103-105 of same reference.]

Katherine Edwards noted this will was dated January 11, 1719 and recorded April 25, 1720.