Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Williams, William Will DeKalb Co., TN 1819



Will Book 6, p. 334-336,

I, William Williams, Sr. give to my well beloved wife, Lucreasy Williams during her natural life, the House whereon I now live with 12 acres of the cleared land adjoining said House with all my Household and kitchen furniture, one Negro man named Abram and one Negro woman named Nan and all my stock as it now stands.

2nd I give to my beloved daughter Betsy Griffin the above named Negro woman from after the decease of my beloved wife.

3rd I give to my beloved daughter, Cloe Melton one Negro girl named Beck.

4th I give to my beloved daughter Mary Williams one Negro man named Abram at the decease of my beloved wife and one feather bed and furniture.

5th I give my beloved son Samuel Williams on Negro girl by the name of Lucinda.

6th I give and bequeath to my Beloved Daughter Priscilla Braswell one Negro boy by the name of Isaac.

7th I give to my beloved son William Williams all my lands and improvements on the west side of Dry Fork it being the lands I now live and one Negro boy named Cary.

8th I give to my beloved son Gilbert Williams one Negro boy by the name of Jacob.

9th I give to my Beloved daughter Lucreasy Hartt one Negro Girl by the nameof Rachel.

10th I give to my Beloved daughter Nancy Braswell one Negro girl by the name of Haue(?).

11th I give to my beloved grandchildren Jerusy Robertson, Jonas Robertson and Ambros Robertson on Negro boy by the name of James to be equally divided among the three grandchildren and one feather bed to the said Jerusey after the decease of my beloved wife.

12th I do leave one Negro boy by the name of Sam, one other by the name of
Mason with all the Household and kitchen furniture of all descriptions which my beloved wife may be possessed with at her decease to be equally divided among all my beloved children above named.

12 I do hereby appoint my beloved sons Samuel Williams and William Williams
my sole executors.

Signed by William Williams and witnessed by Adam Dale, Hugh Hays and Thos. Beckwith, 4 Nov. 1819.

He added a codicil on p. 333, I, William Williams Sr. make this a part of my last will & testament rote by Adam Dale, Esqr and to aulter the former as follows: I give to my three grandchildren Drucilley Robinson, Jonis Robinson, Ambroes Robinson one negro boy named Mason in the room of James that died in my lifetime and also I give my beloved daughter Priscilla Braswell one feather bed and furniture that was not included in my last will and no other alterations in my last will. Signed by Wm. Williams 4 Dec. 1821 and witnessed by Robert Forester and Hugh Hays. The spelling in this codicil wasn't as precise as in the first will and the handwriting wasn't as neat.

His will was proven at the February term 1822

Contributed by Nona Williams


NOTES:

Lucreasy Williams was the daughter of William Braswell III and wife Martha.

Priscilla Williams was married to Sampson Braswell who was the son of Samuel Braswell & Sarah Hunt.

Samuel Williams was married to Sampson Braswell's sister Sarah Braswell.

Nancy Williams was married to Aaron Braswell, son of Arthur Braswell.


William Braswell III named a son in law Thomas Bacwith in his will.

A recently discovered record in DeKalb Co., TN is additional proof that Samuel Braswell of Robertson Co., TN is NOT the son of Sampson Braswell & Priscilla Williams.