Saturday, October 20, 2007

Benjamin Blake Will Orange Co., NC 1783



From the files of Carey Bracewell


In the name of God Amen. I BENJAMIN BLAKE of the County of Orange in the State of North Carolina (planter) being weak in body but of purfect minde and memory thanks be given unto God Calling unto mind the Mortallity of my body, and knowing it is appointed for all men once to Die, Do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament That is to say Principally and first of all I give and recommend by Body to the earth to be buried in Decent Christian burial and my Soul to almighty God that gave it and as touching such Worldly Estate which it has pleas'd God to bless me in this life, I give demise and Disposed of the same in the following manner. First I give & bequest to my Daughter MARTHA CAIN, Ten pounds in Specia with what she had forever, Also I give and bequeath to Son BENJAMIN BLAKE fifty pounds in Spicia with what he had, forever. Also I give and bequeath to my Daughter SARAH BRASWILL Eighty five pounds in Specia, forever. Also I give and bequeath to my Daughter REBECKA MASSA Eighty eight pounds in Specia forever. Also I give and bequeath to my granddaughters and son of THOMAS PHILIPS, named PENOLOPE, MARY, ANN, OBEDIENCE and HARDY PHILIPS, the Sum of Fifth pounds in Specia when they are of lawfull age to be equally Divided between them forever. Also I give and bequeath to my Grandchildren SARAH CAIN & ABSALOM CANE Son and Daughter of ELISHA CANE, the sum of sixty pounds in Specia as they become of lawful age equally to be divided between them forever. Also I give and bequeath to my Daughter PENELOPE BLAKE one hundred pounds in Specia forever. Also I give and bequeath to my Daughter ANN BLAKE one hundred pounds in Specia forever. Also I give & bequeath to my Daughter BETHANA BLAKE one hundred pounds in Specia forever. Furthermore it is my Will that my three youngest daughters, PENELOPE, ANN and BETHANA BLAKE shall be brought in a good reputable Decent manner until they are of Lawful age and as they become of Lawful age to receive their above said Legacies out of my Estate of (Real or Personal) I likewide appoint my Trusty friend EDWARD TRILE (my near Neighbor) Trustee of this my last Will and Testament. Lastly I give bequeath and Devise after my lawful Debts are paid all the residue or remainder of my whole Estate, Lands and Teniments, Claims of land, Household Goods, Negroe Slaves, Cattle, Horses, Bills, Bonds, Book Debts, with all manner of Moveables whatsoever to my son JONIS BLAKE and his heirs forever whom I likewise Constitute make & ordain my Sole Executor of this my last will & Testament and I do hereby utterly Revoke and Disannul, all & every other former Testaments, Wills, Legacies, Bequests and Executors by me in anywise before named, Willed and bequeathed. Ratifying this and no other to be my last Will and Testiment. In Witness whereof I have hereunto Set my hand and affixed my seal this Second Day of April in the Year of our Lord one thousand Seven hundred and Eighty three (signed) BENJAMIN BLAKE

Sign'd, seal'd, publish'd, pronounc'd and declared by the said BENJAMIN BLAKE as his last Will and Testament in the presence of us: ENUCH LEWIS, JAMES TRICE, WILLIAM TRICE

Orange County May Court 1783 The Execution of the within will of BENJAMIN BLAKE Decd was duly prov'd in open court by the oath of JAMES TRICE & WILLIAM TRICE subscribing witnesses thereof & ordered to be recorded


NOTE: Sarah Braswell was the wife of Henry Braswell.