Saturday, October 27, 2007

Hall, Millien, Will Wilkes Co., NC 1802



Millen Hall
was the Mother of Nancy Hall Braswell, wife of James Braswell who was the son of Richard and Obedience Braswell.
May Term 1803 Millien Halls Will ~

In the name of God Amen ~
Whereas I Millien Hall of Wilkes County State of North Carolina being weak in body but of sound mind and understanding do ordain and appoint this to be my last will and Testament any will heretofore made by me is hereby cancelled and made void. I do hereby dispose of the worldly goods wherewith the Lord hath blessed me in manner following - VIZ. First I do give and bequeath unto my son Thomas my negro woman named Judea in absolute possession and his heirs after him -- Item. To my son Samuel I do give and bequeath my bed and the furniture appertaining thereto -- Item, All and every of the monies that may be in my possession or due to me at my decease and likewise my cattle to be divided equally among my children hereafter named with this express condition that they give my Daughter Betsy Hendrix ten dollars in cash the names of the others are as follows, viz, Merry Hall, John Hall, David Hall & Nancy Brazel -- Item to my Daughter Mary Dugger one Shilling. Item to my son David Lansdown one shilling ~ Item. To my Daughter Nancy Brazel my Cotton Petticoat and fine linen shift & handkerchief ~ Item, the rest of my wearing apparel I do bequeath to Elizabeth Hendrix and Judea Hall to be divided equally between them -- I do constitute and appoint Darby Hendrix and Martin Hall Executors of this my last will and testament. Sealed with my seal and Dated this 27th day of August 1802.
Millien Hall (Seal)
In presence of:Thomas Dula, Francis Webb, Nancy (X her mark) Elmore
May Term 1803
Duly proven by the oath of Thomas Dula ~~~ Test Wm. B. Lenoir Clerk

Nancy Hall Braswell's brother David Hall married James Braswell's sister Obedience Braswell in Wilkes Co., NC on January 20, 1784 as stated in David Hall's Revolutionary War pension record. It is believed that James and Nancy were married about the same time. Both families have three children on the 1790 Census for Greenville Co., SC.

James and Nancy Braswell had five children, the youngest, Richard James Brasel, was born April 6, 1799 and James was murdered July 29, 1799.