Thursday, October 18, 2007

* Henry Bracewell, Chatham Co., NC 1784



In the name of god amen I Henry Bracewell of the county of Chatham & State of N Carolina being very sick of body but of perfect mind and memory do make ordain & constitute this my last Will & Testament (To Wit) first I leave to the use of my beloved wife Sarah the dwelling house whereon I now live & two Hundred and fifty acres adjoining one bed & furniture one negroe girl named Nance one sorrel Horse colt and hunting saddle to her during her during her natural life and then & at that time it is my Will & desire that my Daughter Cynthia may have the said Dwelling house & plantation with the two Hundred and fifty acres adjoining also the negroe girle named Nance she and her Increase to be equally divided between my said Dau'r Cynthia & son Blake William Bracewell to them & their heirs forever secondly I give and leave to my Daughter Cynthia one negroe man named Berwick one negroe boy named Dick and one bed and furniture to & her heirs forever ~Thirdly I give and leave to my son Blake William Bracewell three Hundred acres of land adjoining the said plantation I left my wife Sarah and then to my Dau'r Cynthia including the plantation whereon Benjamin Kitchen now lives one negroe wench named fann one negroe boy named Jimm one Bed & furniture to him his Heirs forever with fortyacres of land whereon old Shaddox lived and the half of the Still that now belongs to me & John Wommack ~ Fourthly It is my will & desire and do give Eli Yarborough the sum of Twenty pounds specie to be laid out on the said Eli Yarborough by my Executors to the best advantage in giving him good & sufficient Education so as is enable him by acting his part to git his living by his -- or other way of occupation & in case of his death before the aid money shall be laid out by my Exec'rs then and in that casethe said money to be equally divided between my Dau'r Cynthia & son Blake Wm. Bracewell ~ fifthly I leave all the rest of my Estate to be sold at twelve month credit by my Exec'rs taken bond & approved security and the money so arising after all just debts being collected & discharged to be equally divided between my wife Sarah Dau.'r Cynthia and son Blake William Bracewell & if either of the said of my children should die without issue then the other one shall & may enjoy the full of the others part & portion and further more do appoint constitute make & ordain Joseph Brantly John Wommack & Burwell Williams Executors of this my Last Will and Testament revoking and disanulling all other former Wills Legacies and bequests and declaring none other & only thisto be my last Will & testament In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this seventeenth day of November Anno Domini 1784 Sign'd seal'd published & acknowledg'd by the s'd Henry Bracewell in our presence & are in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names Nathan Prince, James Scer'vt Jones, Signed Henry (H) Bracewell (seal) A Copy Test John Ramsey, C.C.

Contributed by an anonymous researcher