Monday, October 8, 2007

Jesse Braswell Will Brunswick Co., VA 1827



In the name of God amen. I Jesse Braswell, Senr., of the county of Brunswick, being of perfect mind and disposing memory, do constitute and ordain this my last will and testament revoking all others heretofore made, in manner and form following

Item Ist ~ It is my wish and desire that all my estate of any kind is equally divided among my children.

Item 2nd ~ I give to my son Jacob Braswell a negro named Stephen, which he now has in his possession, in place of land which I gave to the rest of my sons, and then an equal portion of my estate.

Item ~ I wish it distinctly understood that I am bound to Major Gholson in the sum of £270:5:8 for my son Peterson G. Braswell with interest thereon from 25th December, 1822 and for the further sum of £72:16:4 for my son John Braswell with interest from I December, 1819 which said amounts I want paid out of their respective proportions of my estate after a division shall have taken place.

Item ~ It is my wish that the value of a negro man Dick, which I loaned to my son Jesse Braswell and he sold with my consent to William Gholson to pay a debt which he owed said Gholson, be taken from his portion of my estate and equally be divided among the whole of my children.

Item ~ I give to my grandchildren Lucy M. Williams, Thomas M. Williams, William P. Williams and Ruffin Williams an equal portion of my estate, to be between them equally divided.

Item ~ I give to my grandchildren, the children of my daughter Kizzy Stacey, an equal portion of my estate to be divided among them making eight equal portions of my estate, two of them being the parts of my daughters Nancy Williams and Kizzy Stacy.

Item ~ I leave my son Jacob Braswell and my son-in-law Lewis B. Taylor executors to my estate and it is my wish that neither of them be required to give any security. In witness thereto I have set my hand this 29th day of October 1827.

Jesse X Braswell

Witnesses: K Harris, John H Harris, William E Harris

Recorded December 24, 1827


NOTE: Jesse's descendants fall within the S/H DNA Haplotype


(Will found on the internet several years ago)