Monday, October 8, 2007

James Permenter Will Edgecombe Co., NC 1789




In the Name of God Amen, I James Permenter being weak in Body but remaining still in perfect mind and memory, and calling to mind the Frailty of this Body, and the certainty of Death, do make and Ordain this my last Will and Testament in form and manner as followeth. Viz. first I do recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God who gave it, hoping by the Merits of Jesus Christ, to receive the same, with the forgiveness of my sins at the Resurrection day, and my Body to be Interred in the Earth, with decent and Christian Burial, at the Discression of my Executors hereafter named. And in the Next place as for what worldly goods it hath been please God to Bless me with I do dispose of in form and manner as followeth. Viz. first it is My desire that all the debts which I in Right of Confidence do Owe be discharged. Secondly I do give and Bequeath unto my Son John Permenter five shillings. I do give and Bequeath unto his son James Permenter 1 Negro Girl Named Dorcas and to his Heirs forever.I do give unto my son James Permenter and his Heirs one Negro Boy Named Sampson, and Another Named Harry, One feather bed and furniture. I do give unto my Son Nathaniel Permenter & his Heirs the Land Belonging to me on the East side of the Mirey Branch, being part of the same Tract of Land whereon I now live. My Blacksmith Tools, One Cross Saw & Whip saw & four head of cattle. I do give unto Malachi Permenter Son of Nathaniel Permenter One Negro Boy called Lewis and to his Heirs forever -- furthermore I do give unto my son Nathl. Permenter One feather bed & furniture.I do give and Bequeath unto my daughter Mary Brasswell One Negro Boy called Balaam to her and her Heirs forever -- and -- four head of cattle. I give and Bequeath unto my Daughter Martha Swearingan ten Shillings. I do give and Bequeath unto Mary Swearingan daughter to my said Daughter Martha Swearingan fifty pounds. I do give and Bequeath unto my Grand Daughter Lidia Swearingan fifty pounds.I do Lend unto my Loving Wife Margaret Permenter during her Natural Life all the Remaining part of my Estate not before Mentioned. Excepting three Negroes Names Ben, Dinah & London furthermore it is my desire that my said wife shall have the use of the plantation whereon I now live during her life and after her Decease --I do give and Bequeath unto John Quinn all the Land Belonging to me on the west side of the Mirey Branch being the Land and plantation whereon I now live together with another Tract adjoining on the south side of it and all that part of my Estate lent to my said wife Margaret Permenter after her decease to the said John Quinn his heirs and assigns forever. Excepting the three Negroes before Excepted. I do leave the said three Negroes called Ben, Dinah & London to be sold to Raise One hundred pounds for my two Granddaughters Mary and Lidia Swearingan and what they sell for over and above the said hundred pounds, to be Equally divided Between my son James Permenter, Nathaniel and my daughter Mary Brasswell. And lastly I do appoint my well Beloved Friend, Joseph Pender, Esq. my said son James Permenter and my wife Margaret Permenter my Lawful Executors. In witness whereof I have set my hand and affixed my seal this ninth day of July Ano Domini 1789. Signed Sealed & delivered in presence of James Permenter, Uriah Askew, Josiah Askew, Ruth May (her mark)
Proved in Court & Recorded Nov. Court 1789 (found on rootsweb)


NOTE: The above Mary Braswell is the wife of Benjamin who is the son of James whose will was writen in Edgecombe Co., 1760.