Monday, October 22, 2007

Jacob Strickland's Will Nash Co., NC 1788



IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN, I Jacob Strickland of the County of Nash, State of North Carolina, being of perfect mind and memory, blessed be God for it, do make and ordain this my last WILL AND TESTAMENT in the manner and form following: FURST I recommend my soul into the hands of God that gave it and my body a commend to be decently buried at the discretion of my executor hereafter named and as for what estate it hath pleased God to bless me with I give as follows:

Item ~ I give and bequeath unto my son Elisha Strickland all my waring cloes after my death. I give also unto his son Isak Strickland one Negro Boy called Quan to him and his hares forever after my death.

Item ~ I give unto my son Jacob Strickland a Negro man called Robin to him and his hares forever after my death.

Item ~ I give and bequeath to my son Matthew Strickland five shillings lawful money. I also give to his daughter Mary Strickland a Negro girl named ----- ----- him and his hares forever after my death.

Item ~ I give to son, Marke Strickland five silings. I also give to his son Ismel Strickland one Negro man called Hary to him and his hares after my death.

Item ~ I give and bequeth to my son Hardy Stricland the plantation and all my land containing 362 acres to him and his hares forever after my death.

Item ~ I give and bequeth to my grandson Theophelus Hickman one Negroman named Prince that he hath in possession.

Item:-- I give bequeth to my son Henry Strickland five shilings after my death. I also give to his son Carrolus Strickland one Negro boy called ------- to him and his hares forever after my death.

Item ~ I give and bequeth to my Granddaughter Creasy Hickman one Negro girl named Jude, she and her son Crus to her and her hares forever after my death.

Item ~ I give and bequeth to my granddaughter, Sarah Hickman one feather bed and furniture after my death.

Item ~ I give and bequeth to my son Soloman Strickland and my daughter Creasy Hickman all the remainder of my eastate unmentioned in the above legacies to be equally divided between them as they can agree after my death.

Item ~ I hereby nominate and appoint my son Marke Strickland fully and solely my Executor to my last will and testament in manner my will is that if should happen and I should die when there is a crop on the ground that Marke Strickland should have the full power to divide with Hardy Strickland as myself give back to our bargain wich is half of everything that is on the land.

In witness whereof I do hereunto set my hand and assign this, my last will and testament, this 18 August 1788.

JACOB STRICKLAND

Signed and sealed by Jacob Strickland
as his last will and testament in the
presence of us;

Edward Nicholson
Christopher Naylor
William Marten (His Mark)

Recorded May 1790 Nash Co., NC


NOTE: Jacob Strickland is the son of Ann Braswell & Matthew Strickland.