Thursday, October 4, 2007

* Will of William Braswell-Carver son of Richard Braswell II & Ann Carver



Contributed by Walter S. & Maxine C. Gabennesch


Will of William Braswell-Carver the son of Richard Braswell II and Ann Carver
written 10 Dec 1766 in Cumberland Co NC
Probated May Court 1767



In The name of God, Amen. The Tenth Day of December anno Dom. one Thousand Seven hundred and Sixty Six. I William Carver of Cumberland County in the Province of North Carolina. Being very Sick and weak in Body, but of perfect mind and memory, Thanks be given unto God: Therefore Calling unto mind the mortality of my Body, and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to Die, do make and ordain this my last will and Testament, That is to Say, Principally, and first of all, I give and Recomend my Soul into the Hands of God that gave it, and My Body I recommend to the Earth, to be Buried in Decent Christian Burial at the Descretion of my Executors; Nothing Doubting but at the General Resurrection, I Shall receive the Same again by the mighty power of God, and as touching Such worldy Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this Life, I give, Devise and Dispose of the Same in the following manner and form.

Impremis, It is my Desier That first of all, my funeral Charges Shall be Paid, and also after that, all my other Debts to Be payd and Discharged out of my Estate,


Item. I give and bequeath to my Son Samson Carver, Two negros viz. Bet and Jo and Five Cows and Calves five Sows and pigs, One feather Beds and furniture, Belonging Thereto, one Still, and the plantation and Land I Bought of Richard Dunn in Bladen County, and Two horses and Two Breading mairs, to him and his heirs and assigns for Ever


Item. I give and Bequeath unto my Son William Carver, Two negros viz John and Luce and also five Cows and Calves, five Sows and pigs, Two horses and Two Breading mairs, one fether Bed and furniture there of; and a peace of Land Lying and Joyning Elwells Land and Down the River to the Bottom a place known By that name, and then to Run Square of from the River to the Back line and So round to the first Station to him and his heirs and assigns For Ever, ---


Item. I give and Bequeath unto my Son Robert Carver, Two Negros viz Soney and Venice, and also five Cows and Calves and five Sows and Pigs, Two horses, and Two Breading mairs, one fether Bed and its furniture and also a peace of Land Begining at the Bottom Williams Loer line and Down the River to the loer End of a field called atkinsons field and to Run out from the river Through a thicket Before the Door, and to Continue to the Back lines and So Round to The first Station, to him and his heirs and assigns for Ever,


Item. I give and Bequeath unto my son Samuel Carver, Two negros viz Mingo and a girl called littel Luce, and also five Cows and Calves, five Sows and Pigs Two horses, and Two Breading mairs, one fether Bed and its furniture and also a peace of Land, Beginning at the loer End of a field called Atkinsons field and Down the River to Loer End of my land and So round to Roberts line and to the first Station, to him and his heirs and assigns for Ever,


Item I give and Bequeath untio my son Jesse Carver, Two negros viz Simon and Rose, and also five Cows and Calves, five Sows and pigs Two horses, and Two Breading mairs one fether Bed and its furniture, and also a peace of Land in Bladen County known by the name of Gillils meadow, The Patent is at John Rice's at or near Newbors and I have his Receipt, to him his heirs & assigns forever


Item, I give and Bequeath to my Son James Carver, Two negros viz, Jemone and Nan, and also five Cows and Calves, five Sows and pigs, Two horses and Two Breading mairs, one feather Bed and its furniture, to him his heirs & assigns


Item, I give and Bequeath unto my Son John Carver, Two negros viz Oliver and Henery, and also five Cows and Calves, five Sows and pigs, Two Horses, Two Breading mairs, one fether Bed and its furniture, to him and his heirs for Ever, and I also give and Bequeath unto my Son William Carver one more negro named Tom, and I order that he Shall pay his Brother John Carver when he Coms of age the Sum of fifty pounds proclamation money, and I also give and Bequeath unto my Son Samson Carver, the one half of all my housel goods for Ever, And I order that he Shall pay his brother John Carver when of age the Sum of fifty pounds proclamation money, and I also give and Bequeath unto my Son James Carver, one more negro named George to him and his heirs and assigns for Ever, and further order That my Sheep Shall Remain ondevided for the use of the Children Till the younger Coms of age, and then to be Equally Devided Among all my Children and also I order that the Genie Shall not Bedevided Be and Remain for the use of keeping all the Beds in Repare Till the younger Children Com of age, then to be Equally Devided amongst all my children


And Let in Case any of the Children Before mentioned Shall Die Before they Should have an heir Lawfully Begotten, (for want of ? Heir, order that his or their portion Shall be Equally Devided amongst them

That are alive,


Item I give and Bequeath unto my Dear and well Beloved wife Mary Carver, Two negrows viz Jim and patience and also five Cows and Calves Five Sows and pigs, one feather Bed and its furniture, Two horses, Two breading mares, to her and her assigns forever,


Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Mary Carver, Two negros viz Sal and John, that is called Littel John, five Cows and Calves, five Sows and pigs, one fether Bed and its furniture, one horse and Side Saddel and Bridel, to her and her heirs and assigns for ever.


I further order and Desire that my Children Shall all have Good Schooling and have Left Three negros viz, Jack, harry, Vilet, their Labour is to Pay for the Schooling of my Children, and further order that the negros Shall not be hired out, or Taken from the Plantations or Labour I Formely followed, But kept to Geather abought their usual Labours


And I further give and Bequeath unto my Deer wife Mary Carver the other half of my Househel good, for Ever, and Leave her actel possessen of the house, During her Widowhood, or till my Son Robert Carver Shall marrey, and after he marreys, if She Continues a widow To have the Liberty of of the Loer grant or the upper grant of this House During her widowhood,


And Lastly I Constitute, make and ordain my Loving wife Mary Carver one of my Executrix and Joseph Dunn and Silvenus Wilson My Executors, of this my Last Will and Testament and I do here by utterly Disallow, Revoke and Disanul all and Every other and former Testemente, Wills Legacies and Bequests, and Executors, by me in any ways Before named, willed and Bequeathed, Ratifying and Confirming this and no other to be my Last will and Testament, In witness Where of I have here unto Set my hand and Seal the Day and year Above written


William Carver

Signed, Sealed, Published, Pronoounced

And Declared by the Said William Carver

As his Last will and Testament, in the presence

Of us The Subscribers


Richd Elwell + North Carolina Cumberland County ? May Cort 1767


Richard Richardson + Then was the Exn of this Will in Open Court proved

Benja Cooper By the Oath of Richd Richardson & Benjamin Elwell two of the subscribing Evidences thereto and Mary Carver Executrix & Silvanus Wilson & Joseph Dunn Executors therein Mentioned Qualified Agreeable to Law -- Ordered that they have Letters --

Testamentary -- Thos Rutherford CC

Exor Mary Carver Silvanus Willson & Joseph Dunn