Thursday, September 27, 2007

Will of Dempsey Hooks 1809 Marion Co., SC


Will of Demscy Hooks

In the Name of God Amen

I Dempcy Hooks Being Weak In Body But In perfect mind and Memory thanks Be to God for the Same Calling to mind the Mortality of all men knowing it was appointed once for all Men to die Item which I give my soul Up Into the hands of God who gave it to me & Bodie to Be Buried in a Christian Maner at the discretion of my Exetrs Who I shall appoint Item I give and Bequeath Unto my well Beloved Mother Dorcas Hooks Eight Hundred and forty Acres of land lying on Hayses Swamp the plantation where Wm. Hook died with all appertainances there unto belonging like wise one year old horse one Bridle & Saddle one iron pot one Grubing hoe four pewter Bassons three plates one dish four Spoons one Shot gun three Cyder hogshead two case knives and two forks one large Gimblet one hundred dollars and Sixty Eight dollars & Sixty two cents in Notes one hundred dollars in hand one Testament one Spelling Book to Be hers In duering her Natural life With paying all my Lawful heirs one Shilling Sterling each & likewise my Will and Dessire is that after the Deceast of my mother that my sisster polly powell Should have the Remaining part of my Estate if there Should Be any to be hers for ever likewise Whomsoever I Shall appoint Henry Brasswell and Rheacy Olliver my Whole and Soals Extrs to act agreable to the above Writing given my under my hand & seal this day of September 1808

Atesst Byous (Tobias) Brasswell
Peter McCormaig
Recorded in Will Book I, Page 52
Recorded May 20, 1809
Role No. 347

http://sciway3.net/proctor/marion/wills/HooksDempcy.html


Note: One of the executors is Henry Braswell, who is the son of Arthur Braswell of Robeson Co., NC. Tobias Braswell is the son of Henry, and I am of the opinion that Dorcas Hooks is Dorcas Braswell, sister of Arthur Braswell and named as Dorcas Hooks in the Nash Co., NC will of William Braswell II.