Tuesday, September 25, 2007

* William Braswell III, Nash Co., NC 1778



Will written 30 Nov 1778 Nash County, North Carolina.


In the Name of God Amen I William Braswell Junior in the County of Nash of State of North Carolina being of sound and disposing mind and memory (thanks be to God) do make and ordain this my last will and Testament and desire it may be received by all as such.

Imprimis: I Will and Postively order that all my debts be paid.

Item: I lend to my loving wife MARTHA this house wherein I now dwell with all the furniture and the land and tenaments that lie about it, together with all my stock of negroes (except what shall be hereafter given away in legacy) during her widowhood or till my son ROBIN arrives of age and then what part of my estate as shall belong to my sons DEMSEY till he shall arive of age.

Item: I give and bequeath to my son ROBIN all my land lying and being on the north west side of the little Creek containing seven hundred and forty acres more or less to be held and enjoyed by him and his heirs forever. I also give and bequeath to my son ROBIN two negroe men. Namely SESAR and TOMAS or CHARLES to be held and enjoyed by him and his heirs forever.

Item: I give and bequeath to my son DEMPSEY seven hundred and ten acres of land lying and being on the south side of the above said creek whereon is the plantation whereon I now dwell to be held and enjoyed by him and his heirs forever. I also give and bequeath to my son DEMSEY two negroes name STEPHEN and CATE to be held land enjoyed by him and his heirs forever.

ITEM: I give and bequeath to my daughter JUDAH HUNT five shillings sterling.

Item: I give and bequeath to my son in law THOMAS BACWITH acres of land adjoining his own land to be held and enjoyed by him and his heirs forever.

Item: I give and bequeath to my daughter LUCRECY WILLIAMS one feather bed and furniture and one ewe to be held and enjoyed by her and her heirs forever.

Item: I give and bequeath to my daughter PRISCILLA EXUM one feather bed and furniture, one rifle gun and two ewes to be held and enjoyed by her and her heirs forever.

Item: I give and bequeath to my daughter RHODA POWELL one feather bed and furniutre to be held and enjoyed by her and her heirs forever.

Item: I give and bequeath to my daughter MOURNING one feather bed and furniture and bed stead, one sorrel mare and side saddle four head breeding cattle with their increase four head breeding shiip, one large chest one dish and one bason to be held and enjoyed by her and her heirs forever.

Item: I also give and bequeath to my daughter MOURNING one woolen wheel to be held and enjoyed by her and her heirs forevr.

Item: I give and bequeath to my grandson ALEXANDER HUNT one cow and one heifer with their increase to be held by and enjoyed by him and his heirs forever.

Item: I give and bequeath to my grandaughter NANCY HUNT one feather bed and furniture and one woolen wheel to be held land enjoyed by her and her heirs forever.

Item: I give and bequeath the ramainder of my estate to be equally divided between my two sons above mentioned at the time of ROBINS arriving of age to be held and enjoyed by them and their heirs forever.

Item: I will and desire that if either of my above said sons die without heirs all that is herin given to him may revert to the other to be held and enjoyed by him and his heirs forever. I also will and desire that one bay horse called Darby one barrell brandy and two suits clothes may be sold to the highest bidder and the money arising from the sale thereof be apropiated to the use of paying my debts.

Item: I do constitute and appoint WILLIAM WILLIAMS, JOSEPH EXUM and JESSE POWELL whole and sole executors and I do hereby disanul all and every other former wills, testaments and legacys bequeaths and executors by me in any wise before named willed and bequeathed ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 30th Day of November 1778.
Signed, sealed, published and declared in presence of us.

WILSON VICK
JAMES DANIEL
WILLIAM BRASWELL

Nash County,
January Court 1779

The within will was exhibited in open court and duly proved by the oath of WILLIAM BRASWELL a subscribing witness thereto which is ordered to be recorded.


Nash County
North Carolina
Record of Wills
Book 1, 1776-1872
LDS #788303

Posted @ genforum by Marta Patterson