Thursday, September 20, 2007

* Richard Braswell the 1st, IOW Co., VA, 1724



IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN. This being
the last Will & Testament of RICHARD BRASWELL being Sick & Weak but in perfect Mind & Memory thanks be to God for it. FIRST I Give and Bequeath my Soul to Almighty God hoping to find Mercy. I Give my Body to the Earth therein to be Buried after a decent Christian manner and all my Worldly Goods as followeth after my Debts being paid.

1st. I Give unto my well beloved Son Richard Brasewell one shilling and no more.

2dly I Give unto my Son Robert Brasewell Ten Shillings worth of my Estate and no more at present.

3dly I give unto my Son Valentine Braswell Ten Shillings and no more at present.

4thly I Give unto my Son Jacob Ten Shillinggs worth and no more at present.

5thly I Give unto my Son John Braswell Ten Shillings worth and no more at present.

6thly I Give unto my Daughter Martha Murfy Ten Shillings worth and no more at present. (note: She married first William Browne, who died in NC by 1720)

7thly I Give unto my Daughter Ann Strickland Ten Shillings worth and no more at present. (note: wife of Matthew Strickland, Jr. of IOWC)

8thly I Give to my Daughter Jane Williams Ten Shillings worth and no more at present. (wife of Samuel Williams, Jr., who died in Edgecombe Co, circa 1749)

9thly I Give to my Grandaughter Susanah Braswell one Cow and Calf.

10thly & LASTLY I Give unto my loving Wife Sarah Braswell all the rest of my Estate to her and to her disposing appointing her my whole & sole Executrix of this my last Will & Testament whereof I do hereunto set my Hand & Seal this 28 day of July 1724.

Richard (mark) Braswell (seal)

SIGNED SEALED & DELIVERED in psence of us

Edwd Powers senr Edw powers

Examd & truly Recorded

Teste. Jas. Ingles ClCur.

Isle of Wight County Record #2, THE GREAT BOOK, PAGE 174


From the collection of Carey Bracewell


See a copy of will here part 1

See a copy of will here part 2