Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Will of Reverend Robert Bracewell 1668


Contributed by Carey H. Bracewell

Will & Deed Book I, Vol. a, p. 52.



"In the name of God Amen, I ROBERT BRACEWELL beinge very weake & sicke of Body but of perfectt memorie, doe make this my last Will & Testament, Revockeinge all former Wills whatsoever, Imprimis I bequeath my Soule into the hands of my Redeemer, who gave it mee, And my body unto the ground from whence it came to be decently buried, And for those Temporall goods God hath given mee I dispose of them in manner as followeth, I give unto my daughter JANE STOCKES her CHILDREN, three cowes, To REBECCA WEST my daughter one Cowe & Calfe And one Cowe & Calfe to the next child she shall have, And the rest of all my Estate unto my two sonns ROBERT and RICHARD whome I make my full & sole executors of this my Will, and the Mill I desire shalbe finisht, with what speed may bee And to be lett out, only reservinge corne for themselves, and the p.{ro} duse of the Mill to be equally divided betweene them both, And reserved to build a new mill hereafter And when built to be left wholly to my sonne RICHARD Likewise I give Seaven hundred Acres of land where I now live and sixe hundred Acres att the Western Branch of Nancemond County To be equally divided betweene my two sonnes ROBERT and RICHARD Likewise it is my desire that noe part or parcell of the estate shalbe disposed of, nor none of the land, untill they both are of full Age, nor no wayes divided But if it shall please God that either of them shall depart this life before he comes of Age, That then the Survivor shall enjoye the whole Likewise I give unto my Servant ELIZABETH HALL when she shalbe free one heiffer of two yeares of Age And likewise it is my desire That my loveinge friends Mr RICHARD IZARD and GEORGE GWILLIM to be Guardians unto my Children in the time of theire Minoritie, And to see this my Will performed Likewise I give unto the said RICHARD IZARD and GEORGE GWILLIM, ffortie shillings to each of them, to buy them each one ringe, Likewise I give unto my Daughter ANN BAGNALL one Cowe & Calfe And one Cowe & calfe to her first Child, if it please God she have any, And likewise it is my desire that my two sonnes, ROBERT & RICHARD shalbe putt to schoole untill they cann both write & read And this beinge my Will I testifie it with my hand this 15th of February 1667

...........................................................ROB: BRACELL

In Wittness of

GEORGE GWILLIM

RICHARD X IZARD


This will was proved in open Cort held for the Isle of Wight County this first Day of May 1668 And then Recorded

Teste John Jennings Clr: Recordes: